TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Salvage Model 3 charging problems, how to get it repaired?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Rupy98, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Rupy98

Rupy98 Member

I acquired a salvage model 3 that unfortunately seems to have some electrical/battery problems. It's indicating that it's unable to charge to 100% and BMS_a064_SW_SOC_IMBALANCE. It's also in reduced power mode.

Any ideas on how and where i can get that repaired (I clearly can't do it)... Someone told me that it's not as straightforward as getting a new battery and putting it in as the car would need firmware and I would therefore need someone who can hack the model 3.

I did consider taking it to tesla, have the inspection done for the ~$500, and look to get a quote from them to fix, but the car can currently supercharge and doing the inspection will disable that is my understanding.

Yes, I understand these are all the challenges with having a salvage, told myself that and kicked myself a couple times already... so what I would love from the community instead are ideas on what next... thanks much

2. MRGEDU

MRGEDU Member

I know this is not directly helpful, but if you want a Model 3 then see if Tesla will take it on a trade, it may be your best way to get the most money for it. Supercharging is useless if the car doesn’t work correctly.

• Like x 1
  3. notrhj

notrhj Member

I would contact the electrified garage richrebuild

• Like x 1
  4. bart_dood

bart_dood Member

Why don't you use the OBD and pull the pack voltages and see if one of the sub-packs is bad? shouldn't be too expensive to swap a sub-module out to repair it?

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The Model 3 doesn't have an OBD port. And there are only 4 modules... So looking at ~$4k at current market prices for a module. (Assuming they would sell the correct single module since they aren't all the same in the Model 3 like they are in the S&X.)

6. Rupy98

Rupy98 Member

I didn't know they would even consider a trade... seems weird that they would, but i'll explore.

7. Rupy98

Rupy98 Member

But assuming that it is the correct module that is out of balance, would I then need the software access as indicated before?

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I don't know if individual modules can be replaced without getting the software involved or not.

9. MXWing

MXWing Banned

This is CLUTCH advice.

Tesla is so disorganized they can't even cut their way out of a wet paper bag with a ginzu knife.

@Rupy98

I would say the probability is pretty high you get more on the trade in than what you bought the car for.

• Like x 1
  10. Eclipso

Eclipso Member

This is exactly what I was going to post. Contact Rich and his guys

11. Margaritaboy

Margaritaboy Member

12. Pursual

Pursual Member

Did you get anywhere? Same error code.