Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Model 3 charging problems, how to get it repaired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I acquired a salvage model 3 that unfortunately seems to have some electrical/battery problems. It's indicating that it's unable to charge to 100% and BMS_a064_SW_SOC_IMBALANCE. It's also in reduced power mode.

Any ideas on how and where i can get that repaired (I clearly can't do it)... Someone told me that it's not as straightforward as getting a new battery and putting it in as the car would need firmware and I would therefore need someone who can hack the model 3.

I did consider taking it to tesla, have the inspection done for the ~$500, and look to get a quote from them to fix, but the car can currently supercharge and doing the inspection will disable that is my understanding.

Yes, I understand these are all the challenges with having a salvage, told myself that and kicked myself a couple times already... so what I would love from the community instead are ideas on what next... thanks much

I know this is not directly helpful, but if you want a Model 3 then see if Tesla will take it on a trade, it may be your best way to get the most money for it. Supercharging is useless if the car doesn’t work correctly.

Reactions: MXWing
I acquired a salvage model 3 that unfortunately seems to have some electrical/battery problems. It's indicating that it's unable to charge to 100% and BMS_a064_SW_SOC_IMBALANCE. It's also in reduced power mode.

Any ideas on how and where i can get that repaired (I clearly can't do it)... Someone told me that it's not as straightforward as getting a new battery and putting it in as the car would need firmware and I would therefore need someone who can hack the model 3.

I did consider taking it to tesla, have the inspection done for the ~$500, and look to get a quote from them to fix, but the car can currently supercharge and doing the inspection will disable that is my understanding.

Yes, I understand these are all the challenges with having a salvage, told myself that and kicked myself a couple times already... so what I would love from the community instead are ideas on what next... thanks much

Why don't you use the OBD and pull the pack voltages and see if one of the sub-packs is bad? shouldn't be too expensive to swap a sub-module out to repair it?

Why don't you use the OBD and pull the pack voltages and see if one of the sub-packs is bad? shouldn't be too expensive to swap a sub-module out to repair it?

The Model 3 doesn't have an OBD port. And there are only 4 modules... So looking at ~$4k at current market prices for a module. (Assuming they would sell the correct single module since they aren't all the same in the Model 3 like they are in the S&X.)

I know this is not directly helpful, but if you want a Model 3 then see if Tesla will take it on a trade, it may be your best way to get the most money for it. Supercharging is useless if the car doesn’t work correctly.

I didn't know they would even consider a trade... seems weird that they would, but i'll explore.

The Model 3 doesn't have an OBD port. And there are only 4 modules... So looking at ~$4k at current market prices for a module. (Assuming they would sell the correct single module since they aren't all the same in the Model 3 like they are in the S&X.)

But assuming that it is the correct module that is out of balance, would I then need the software access as indicated before?

This is CLUTCH advice.

Tesla is so disorganized they can't even cut their way out of a wet paper bag with a ginzu knife.

@Rupy98

I would say the probability is pretty high you get more on the trade in than what you bought the car for.

Reactions: smatthew