Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage model S for 18k -good deal or should I walk away?

Is this car a good deal at 18k?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20200604_224638.jpg
20200516_173131.jpg 20200516_153734.jpg

So im guessing you'd have to block all future updates (easy to do by disabling the cell connection I think, but not sure how that affects map updates for the navigation?) Or does that mean leave cell enabled, but after every update, go back into the software and re-enable supercharging and or auto pilot?

Just seems to me, that combined with it having salvage title, the level of effort involved to make sure you keep SC and AP going, while avoiding updates that make the car better...arent worth the couple thousand in savings.

To me.

To go back to the beginning of the story, was the information on why it was deemed a totaled vehicle available?

$24k in repairs should not have been an auto-total unless it was in a state with a 75% ACV threshold, and $32k seems a low valuation...

Either way, congrats on your "new" ride!

So im guessing you'd have to block all future updates (easy to do by disabling the cell connection I think, but not sure how that affects map updates for the navigation?) Or does that mean leave cell enabled, but after every update, go back into the software and re-enable supercharging and or auto pilot?

Just seems to me, that combined with it having salvage title, the level of effort involved to make sure you keep SC and AP going, while avoiding updates that make the car better...arent worth the couple thousand in savings.

To me.

That's a good thought about the cell reception!

The guy who fixed it said the same thing as you... that it wasnt worth the hassle of worrying about updates, possiblity ofSC or AP being removed, and not being able to get service. he recommended that I sell it for profit and use the money towards a Model 3 with a warranty.

Im still unsure if I'll sell it -love her so far... and incredibly grateful it was an easier fix than we thought

Reactions: 2101Guy
Bullshittttt where? Facelift+AP I havent seen any for my price

Maybe I’m confused now but are you trying to resell it? I’m not in the market for an S anyway unless it was a serious steal I can kick around for a year and sell for what I’m in it for or better. :)

I was just stating what it would take for me to take a chance on an unsupported car as someone who doesn’t have time to deal with being inconvenienced. In fact, I fully support rebuilding/repairing as I believe it’s the most sustainable solution vs prematurely discarding otherwise serviceable vehicles and alienating a tertiary market seeking clean, stylish transportation.

Reactions: Thefloorislava