Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SALVAGE MODEL S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NAZIK777

Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2023
SEATTLE, WA
Hello, everyone!
I'm new here.
As of right now know how to fight with model 3/Y... Do using Loki, very nice and easy to use tool.
But have couple guys asking me to do some configuration edits (supercharger back to work, FSD) to their MODEL S/X... NEVER have been dealing with it, cuz have own (salvage) model 3 and Y, and was studying on them.

1. what do i need to buy to start fighting with Model S/X
2. can someone point me to which direction i should go to understand how to hack (root) this platform? if someone have any info and willing to share it for reasonable price, pm me pls. will appreciate it!
3. what you guys know about tegra emmc failure? Is it reasonable to replace before it dies? Or there is an other way to find dump for replacement chip?

P.S pls do not hate me for my probably stupid question!

Thanks to everyone who will response.

Reactions: Drew-MS and fangers
Not with Free SC anymore. This is the primary/only reason I bought this silly car. Now I'm stuck... but trying to learn/find people to help.

Have you experienced this, or just heard that it's true? I asked because I had my car inspected, supercharging works fine now, and I don't pay a thing. It looks like you do it first as the dollars go up just like they would in any car. But when you stop the charging session it's dropped back to zero. Anyway, just trying to see if there's an actual difference for different cars, or what the deal is.

Not with Free SC anymore. This is the primary/only reason I bought this silly car. Now I'm stuck... but trying to learn/find people to help.
Unfortunately the free SC doesn’t transfer anymore when a car with free unlimited supercharging changes owners. Tesla put an end to that a while ago. My P100D had free unlimited SC but when I sold it a few years ago, the free SC was immediately canceled once ownership transferred to the buyer.

It’s definitely illegal. Just not sure how that can happen to a buyer these days with all the tools available (carfax etc.)

I just watched a news segment where a guy bought a used Audi from an independent dealership that was a stolen car. Somehow all the paperwork systems weren't showing it as stolen, but the police system had it as stolen so they took possession of the car from the buyer.

The dealership told them it wasn't their problem, and to pound sand, and Wells Fargo continued to send threatening credit-damaging demand letters for the monthly payments and repo threats to the buyer even though he didn't have the car anymore.

In the end, it took pressure from the news to get Wells Fargo to make it right on their end, and the courts to get the dealer to make it right on their end.

I just watched a news segment where a guy bought a used Audi from an independent dealership that was a stolen car. Somehow all the paperwork systems weren't showing it as stolen, but the police system had it as stolen so they took possession of the car from the buyer.

The dealership told them it wasn't their problem, and to pound sand, and Wells Fargo continued to send threatening credit-damaging demand letters for the monthly payments and repo threats to the buyer even though he didn't have the car anymore.

In the end, it took pressure from the news to get Wells Fargo to make it right on their end, and the courts to get the dealer to make it right on their end.
Wow it’s such BS that something like that can really happen in 2023. Happy to hear there was a good outcome.. However, the dealership should have taken responsibility right away since they sold a stolen car regardless if their paperwork showed otherwise. Wells Fargo had nothing to do with it so of course they want to get paid. I’d 100% hold the dealer accountable.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Wow it’s such BS that something like that can really happen in 2023. Happy to hear there was a good outcome.. However, the dealership should have taken responsibility right away since they sold a stolen car regardless if their paperwork showed otherwise. Wells Fargo had nothing to do with it so of course they want to get paid. I’d 100% hold the dealer accountable.

Honestly, the dealer was in the same position as Wells Fargo. The dealer said they did all their checks and paperwork correctly, so why should they be on the hook? Wells Fargo would never have approved a loan on a car that is stolen, if they knew that, just like the dealer wouldn't have bought and sold the car if they had the chance to know it was stolen. They didn't.

The real guilt seems to be on the organizations that screwed up with tracking the car as stolen, and of course, the scum bag that stole the car.

Honestly, the dealer was in the same position as Wells Fargo. The dealer said they did all their checks and paperwork correctly, so why should they be on the hook? Wells Fargo would never have approved a loan on a car that is stolen, if they knew that, just like the dealer wouldn't have bought and sold the car if they had the chance to know it was stolen. They didn't.

The real guilt seems to be on the organizations that screwed up with tracking the car as stolen, and of course, the scum bag that stole the car.

When I bought my Model S the owner told me it was repaired after a wreck. I had no idea what a salvage title was back then, so I called Tesla to see if it still had warranty. They said yes. And, for 5 years, they gave me warranty and, of course, supercharging all those things.

When we retired to Oklahoma it was discovered, with the new database that's in place Nationwide for salvage vehicles now, thank you big brother, that the car was technically salvage. It was fully owned by a guy who decided it was better just to write it off and buy a new one. We suddenly found out in the middle of a trip, that Tesla had cut off our supercharging. Their claim, of course, is that they we're not responsible since the paperwork was messed up. I had no proof that they had told me the car was under warranty, it was a phone conversation, so couldn't get anywhere with them. Thought of suing them, not worth it.

The point of all this is that when things like this happen, blame doesn't really matter. What does matter is who ends up taking the fall. In our case it was the guy with a few thousands in the bank, as opposed to the multinational corporation with multiplied billions in the bank. Poor little Tesla shouldn't have to take any responsibility, right?

Reactions: Drew-MS
Unfortunately the free SC doesn’t transfer anymore when a car with free unlimited supercharging changes owners. Tesla put an end to that a while ago. My P100D had free unlimited SC but when I sold it a few years ago, the free SC was immediately canceled once ownership transferred to the buyer.
There's different FUSC codes in Tesla's system. So many threads on this, don't mislead others.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew-MS
To be clear, owners of cars sold prior to Jan-17-2017 do usually have transferable SC for an unlimited number of subsequent owners. Zero changes have been made. I had two cars that were bought before this date and FUSC transferred fine. Tesla was clear about the change at the time that free SC after that date was not transferable after the vehicle was sold.

Some exceptions exist, such as salvage title kills Supercharging entirely, even if you want to pay for it. Also if Tesla purchased the vehicle, such as a trade-in, they have the right to remove FUSC and often do. Those cars then sell for less than they would if FUSC was still available.

To be clear, owners of cars sold prior to Jan-17-2017 do usually have transferable SC for an unlimited number of subsequent owners. Zero changes have been made. I had two cars that were bought before this date and FUSC transferred fine. Tesla was clear about the change at the time that free SC after that date was not transferable after the vehicle was sold.

Some exceptions exist, such as salvage title kills Supercharging entirely, even if you want to pay for it. Also if Tesla purchased the vehicle, such as a trade-in, they have the right to remove FUSC and often do. Those cars then sell for less than they would if FUSC was still available.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion. My P100D was sold after Jan 2017 so I guess that’s why the free sc didn’t transfer when I sold the car. Prior to selling my car privately, I contacted Tesla to make sure the free supercharging would transfer and I was told it would transfer. Well, this wasn’t the case unfortunately.
So the new owner contacted me a day after picking up the car to let me know that there is no longer free sc 😳… Since I advertised the car for sale with free unlimited sc, I did the right thing 💲with the purchaser but I wasn’t happy about it 😩..

Last edited:

So back in 2007, I purchased a Hennessy Venom Viper with 5000 miles from an exotic car dealer in NC.. The car was transported to me and came with a 30 day temporary tag. After about 3 1/2 weeks, the dealership contacted me to let me know they are still waiting on Title etc.. Okay no biggie, they sent me another 30 day tag. Several days before the second 30 day tag was to expire (2 months after purchase,) the dealer contacted me to let me know that unfortunately there was still a lien on the title… wtf.. So the dealership arranged to have the car picked up at my house and they refunded me the entire purchase, transport, plus all out of pocket money I spent on the car which was a few thousand dollars. I was later told that the person who owned the car prior, provided them with a fraudulent Lein Release. Since the loan was never paid off, of course they wouldn’t have been able to provide a Title.

Unfortunately these types of things were more common 15+ years ago. At the present time, there’s more technology available and more tools available to consumers so issues/fraud are probably pretty rare..

Some exceptions exist, such as salvage title kills Supercharging entirely, even if you want to pay for it.

That is no longer true, at least in my case. I paid them less than $1, 000 to inspect the battery and systems, and now I have my free unlimited supercharging back. Also it goes with the car should I ever sell it.

Other than that, nail on. Good post!

Reactions: vcor
That is no longer true, at least in my case. I paid them less than $1, 000 to inspect the battery and systems, and now I have my free unlimited supercharging back. Also it goes with the car should I ever sell it.

Other than that, nail on. Good post!
Hi there, I was hoping to get this done as well. If you don't mind me asking, which service center did you have this checked out at and what was the damage that caused the salvaged title originally?

I have a model S that had some front end/fender damage and am afraid that it would a roll of the dice to spend that money to not get certified.