Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Roadster Sport in IL -- any interest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any information about the ESS?
Max Range?
SOC now?
Bricked?

That's really the deciding factor on how much to pay for this Roadster. Its been sitting a month (maybe more) in cold Chicago, I can't imagine the battery is in very good shape.

Judging by the pictures only; both headlights, both front fenders, hood, bumper, and rear spoiler need replacement (im not sure if carbon fiber panels can be repaired easily). I can't imagine Roadster body panels are easy to come by, and most of the panels that need replacement are carbon fiber, which makes them expensive. We dont know whats broken under the skin, so that'll add more unknown repair costs.

$20k-30k for a refurbished or new battery pack + $10k-30k for cosmetic repairs (a total guess) + $20k (current bid for the Roadster).

On the high end it's not worth it, you could find a working Roadster for for that price. Best case if the battery is ok, $30k or so. That's a pretty big risk in my opinion. If I could pick it up for less than $20k, id buy it and turn it into a race car, but it looks like it'll be selling for more than that.

Hi Oricle,

This is strange. The one I was in contact with was in Minonk, IL was blue, was also crashed, but was being sold out of Arizona.
The serial number I was looking at was #782. Three cars away from my #785.
This one and mine were probably delivered on the same truck...

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: Oricle
We bid the car up to $25K even and won.

The Copart "Runs & Drives" category is often misleading, but encouraging. We bought a Model S from Copart earlier this month with the same claim, only to have them tell us at pickup time, there are no keys. When we asked how it runs and drives, they looked for the keys, finally found them, and discovered it drove when it came in, and now is bricked with 0 miles range. We were able to back out of this purchase.

We received the dark blue Roadster with plentiful IL mud specimens in the cabin and caked on the outside. We were very pleased this one came without a bricked battery pack, showing 37 miles on the clock. This is very rare since the Roadsters stuck in title jail at the insurance auction lots for months do not get any charge maintenance, and usually always arrive bricked. We are able to recover most, sometimes requiring a battery pull.

We were able to bring the ESS pack back to 169 miles ideal range exceeding our expectations. With the aging Roadster population these days, we are usually seeing 150 or less after charge or recovery.

It always amazes us what ends up disappearing while in title processing jail. The charge cables can usually be found on Ebay. This car was also missing the rear carbon fiber spoiler ($1600), and the JVC faceplate, which may have been removed by the previous owner. We find auctioned Model S keys are usually missing since they make cool take home toys for auction lot employees kids, and previous owners like to keep at least one as a "souvenir". Disappointingly, insurance company funded estimating trips to the SC's often result in parts never making it back into the cars. A completely missing Model S premium sub woofer buried in the back of a passenger quarter quarter panel with all the interior body panels back in place is just one example.

The entire Roadster will have to be repainted. With hurricane territory auction lots overflowing, and temporary lots being setup with inexperienced subcontractors processing cars, additional paint and body damage is guaranteed. Although this one came from Chicago, an auction lot unaffected by recent weather events, the rest of the car looked like it had a towing chain dragged across the body panels including a cracked windshield which may not have been part of the collision damage.

Overall, we are pleased with this Roadster purchase and will be putting it back on the road soon. This one was a rare find. There was no structural or suspension damage. The car was most likely driven under another high profile vehicle since only the top CF skin items on the car suffered damage.

Roadsters are not known for emergency braking and the rear tire condition, which were down to the cords, one on the second layer of cords, most likely contributed to the braking failure. We also speculated the previous owner, once aware the car was totaled, may have taken this tuns & drives car to a nearby parking lot and practiced burnouts and drifting. It is hard to image someone driving actually driving a vehicle with rear tires this compromised on the road.

Pete

Any interest is parting out the Roadster door sills & other CF parts?

We bid the car up to $25K even and won.

We received the dark blue Roadster with plentiful IL mud specimens in the cabin and caked on the outside. We were very pleased this one came without a bricked battery pack, showing 37 miles on the clock. This is very rare since the Roadsters stuck in title jail at the insurance auction lots for months do not get any charge maintenance, and usually always arrive bricked. We are able to recover most, sometimes requiring a battery pull.

We were able to bring the ESS pack back to 169 miles ideal range exceeding our expectations. With the aging Roadster population these days, we are usually seeing 150 or less after charge or recovery.

It always amazes us what ends up disappearing while in title processing jail. The charge cables can usually be found on Ebay. This car was also missing the rear carbon fiber spoiler ($1600), and the JVC faceplate, which may have been removed by the previous owner. We find auctioned Model S keys are usually missing since they make cool take home toys for auction lot employees kids, and previous owners like to keep at least one as a "souvenir". Disappointingly, insurance company funded estimating trips to the SC's often result in parts never making it back into the cars. A completely missing Model S premium sub woofer buried in the back of a passenger quarter quarter panel with all the interior body panels back in place is just one example.

The entire Roadster will have to be repainted. With hurricane territory auction lots overflowing, and temporary lots being setup with inexperienced subcontractors processing cars, additional paint and body damage is guaranteed. Although this one came from Chicago, an auction lot unaffected by recent weather events, the rest of the car looked like it had a towing chain dragged across the body panels including a cracked windshield which may not have been part of the collision damage.

Overall, we are pleased with this Roadster purchase and will be putting it back on the road soon. This one was a rare find. There was no structural or suspension damage. The car was most likely driven under another high profile vehicle since only the top CF skin items on the car suffered damage.

Roadsters are not known for emergency braking and the rear tire condition, which were down to the cords, one on the second layer of cords, most likely contributed to the braking failure. We also speculated the previous owner, once aware the car was totaled, may have taken this tuns & drives car to a nearby parking lot and practiced burnouts and drifting. It is hard to image someone driving actually driving a vehicle with rear tires this compromised on the road.

Pete

We intend to put this car back on the road so all the pieces, some of which will have to be replaced out of our stock, are needed.
Feel free to contact us. We do have some CF pieces in our inventory.

Hi Pete,

Do you have the rear wing or front hood CF pieces in your inventory? I would be interested in either one or both. Ping me at dbourne at icloud.com if you've got those items!

Thanks

Dave