Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selling a wrecked Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with 67k miles. After the accident, I put a new bumper on and drove it for a month with no issues. No airbags deployed and Autopilot and FSD still function as they should. Battery was not damaged and charges as it should. Has new 18" wheels and tires with ~2k miles on them installed after the accident took place. It has since been partially disassembled by a Tesla certified collision center and deemed a total loss due to a small amount of frame damage. The car will be sold partially disassembled with all parts included. Also included are all weather floor mats and chrome delete kit.

Photos show the car after the accident, after I replaced the bumper, as well as its current state of disassembly. Asking $28,000

Attachments

• 20220508_182238.jpg
    20220508_182238.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 333
  • 20220508_182259.jpg
    20220508_182259.jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 20220511_164445.jpg
    20220511_164445.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220511_193006.jpg
    20220511_193006.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220512_144849.jpg
    20220512_144849.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20220902_085437.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902_085437.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20220902_085206.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902_085206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Wow what an interesting deal. You get a fully functional Model 3 LR with FSD for less than $30K - if I knew the way around cars I'd jump on it!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you wait a whole month for the shop to take the car apart? And if the car was deemed a total loss, how could you take possession of it?

And if the car was deemed a total loss, how could you take possession of it?
In Oregon you can own a totaled vehicle and repair it. And getting the title re-branded as reconstructed takes next to nothing. Essentially drive it to DMV and have them look at the VIN, pay the fees and go on your way. It doesn't need to be repaired, from what I have seen. (I wouldn't be surprised if you could have an inoperable vehicle towed to the DMV, dropped off, re-titled, and then picked back up by a tow truck.)

In Oregon you can own a totaled vehicle and repair it. And getting the title re-branded as reconstructed takes next to nothing. Essentially drive it to DMV and have them look at the VIN, pay the fees and go on your way. It doesn't need to be repaired, from what I have seen. (I wouldn't be surprised if you could have an inoperable vehicle towed to the DMV, dropped off, re-titled, and then picked back up by a tow truck.)
So interesting. So you get into an accident. The car gets towed to a body shop and is deemed a total loss. The insurance pays you money for the value of the vehicle minus the deductible. Then you just get the car towed to wherever and repaired, and then you get to sell it? You can actually double-dip?

The car gets towed to a body shop and is deemed a total loss. The insurance pays you money for the value of the vehicle minus the deductible. Then you just get the car towed to wherever and repaired, and then you get to sell it? You can actually double-dip?
Almost. When the insurance company pays you for the vehicle you have to sign the title over to them and the car is then theirs to deal with, unless you buy it back from them for the salvage value. Depending on the insurance company the salvage value they charge you can be ridiculously cheap. (I saw one where they just had a chart of how old the vehicle was and if it was domestic or foreign. Domestic vehicles had very little salvage value. It was basically what a scrap yard would pay for it, which is next to nothing. A different company went by what they thought they could auction it for, and said most of the vehicles end up getting bought by foreigners and exported to other countries.)

Wow what an interesting deal. You get a fully functional Model 3 LR with FSD for less than $30K - if I knew the way around cars I'd jump on it!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you wait a whole month for the shop to take the car apart? And if the car was deemed a total loss, how could you take possession of it?
The shop was backlogged for a while, so it took some time to actually get it into the shop for a repair estimate.

Reactions: Hiline
Fascinating. How could you be so sure there was no damage to the battery and to the drivetrain? Was it just from driving and charging the car for a whole month? This whole thing is new to me and I’m trying to learn so next time I see an opportunity like this I know what to do :)

Fascinating. How could you be so sure there was no damage to the battery and to the drivetrain? Was it just from driving and charging the car for a whole month? This whole thing is new to me and I’m trying to learn so next time I see an opportunity like this I know what to do :)

Run your car into a field and find out.

This car has been sold, this thread should be moved to "chit chat" if people are going to ask question not related to purchasing it.