Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage title model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I recently bought a model 3 from a salvage auction to fix and drive. The car was hit pretty hard in the rear resulting in the trunk, bumper, right quarter, inner trunk, and outer frame damage. I was told by a body shop that before replacing any of the metal, it should go on a frame machine to get straightened out. Then the bad metal could be cut out and replaced. I've been reading online though that it is not recommended for any tesla to go on a frame machine because other parts of the car could unintentionally get messed up. Does anyone have experience with this? Some direction here would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220114_170603.jpg
    20220114_170603.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 943
Reactions: Kvitravn
From what I have read you probably have a parts car. The VIN is likely disabled in Tesla's computers so no supercharging or upgrades unless you can find a hack. To get the car back in service I have read that you need to get the car re certified by Tesla and that process is very expensive.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
From what I have read you probably have a parts car. The VIN is likely disabled in Tesla's computers so no supercharging or upgrades unless you can find a hack. To get the car back in service I have read that you need to get the car re certified by Tesla and that process is very expensive.

Maybe I missed it, but this OP did not say anything about whether they did, or did not expect to have supercharging available on the vehicle when it was fixed. These cars can be driven and charged at home just fine, supercharging is not a "have to have" for someone... especially if they are buying a salvage tesla.

Also, there isnt any current certification that tesla does to re enable supercharging (or any DC fast charging) for any salvage vehicle. I dont think that has changed.

OP, I have no idea because I dont have a salvage tesla (or any other salvage car) and salvage cars is not something I am into, or would contemplate. Most people who do this type of thing have a plan from the beginning though.

You might search TMC for the keyword "salvage" and then try posting in a couple of those threads that come up, and see if someone has some info for you there. There are a few users here that have salvage cars, but the model 3 subforum on this website is not one that is focused on "DIY" for this type of thing.

Upvote 0
I am fully capable and planning on fixing the car myself. The super charger network thing doesn't matter to me, it would just be a nice bonus if it did work. The VIN does not get disabled. Ive already been to the dealer to get a new key card. I just need to know that if I put it on a frame machine before replacing the damaged parts if it will pull something else apart inadvertently.

Upvote 0
+1 supercharging will be disabled. That is pretty bad hit for a model 3. Definitely needs to go on a frame - nothing wrong with pulling a Tesla. You just need to find someone who has experience pulling and welding aluminum. Most shops won't be able to take on this job.
Do you have experience with Teslas on frame machines? I got a quote from a body shop of $1000 to pull the damage, and am ready to do that as long as it doesn't make the car worse

Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
+1 supercharging will be disabled. That is pretty bad hit for a model 3. Definitely needs to go on a frame - nothing wrong with pulling a Tesla. You just need to find someone who has experience pulling and welding aluminum. Most shops won't be able to take on this job.
It’s not even aluminum. It’s a 3.

The misinformation about salvage vehicles on TMC is insane.

Upvote 0
The body and frame are a mix of aluminum and steel.
Right, here is a breakdown of the metal mix of a 2018 Model 3 body (although this may have changed in later years):
Tesla Model 3: here's the alloy mix of the Model 3 body
It can be seen there is still a lot of aluminum used in the rear of the car (which is the part most damaged in your pictures), although the car is mostly steel of various grades.

From the ERG, it says the doors are aluminum. I know also the hood is aluminum. The other exterior panels are either plastic or steel. A magnet test can be a easy way to tell.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

Upvote 0
Just might not be as special or complicated as you guys make it seem. If a reputable body shop says it can be done and you have access to the parts you need, then I'd say go ahead and prove that it's just a car. Would be great if you made a project thread in here so we can follow, learn and cheer on through the inevitable setbacks on the way :cool:

Reactions: medphys3
Upvote 0
Do you have experience with Teslas on frame machines? I got a quote from a body shop of $1000 to pull the damage, and am ready to do that as long as it doesn't make the car worse
The body and frame are a mix of aluminum and steel.
Did you get it fixed? Tesla and many manuf do not allow bending metal but rather replacing metal parts by drilling out the spot welds and re attaching new structural members by rivet bonding or bond spot welding. Mig or Tig Welding is Only allowed in areas like a quarter panel splice. Most rebuilders can weld and spot weld thru bond if they have any skills but few can rivet bond. Pulling sheet metal in non critical structural areas like the panels under the trunk is probably ok. Definitely don’t pull or weld the subframe - replace it.

Upvote 0
What is the status today of super charging a model 3 with salvage title?

The active thread with this discussion is here:

Its not a "model 3" thing, its a "Tesla" thing. Perhaps read through the above thread.

Upvote 0
I don't know any answers to your questions, just wanted to say good luck. The damage really doesn't look too terrible - did any airbags deploy? If you can find used parts (bumper, trunk, fender liners, etc) you can probably have it fixed for much less than the vehicle is worth (I'm guessing it's a Performance based on the pictures) meaning it is worth at least $60k without a salvage title.

Upvote 0
Depends on the people. My wife will be keeping this one but I've sold a bunch of them already.
Hi, Great work!!! i bought a 2019 M3 @ an auction, the car said it was a run and drive condition item, the title was rebuild but now i got on the garage but it wont respond at all, i replaced the 12 volt battery, but still nothing. Can you give me any ideas on how to troubleshoot it or where to look, because tesla wont help!

Upvote 0
Hi, Great work!!! i bought a 2019 M3 @ an auction, the car said it was a run and drive condition item, the title was rebuild but now i got on the garage but it wont respond at all, i replaced the 12 volt battery, but still nothing. Can you give me any ideas on how to troubleshoot it or where to look, because tesla wont help!
I can't offer any help, but since you are located in Florida, consider asking these guys for help: Electrified Garage Tesla Service Center

They are one of the only (if not the only) 3rd party Tesla body shops that will probably be able to help you with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0