TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Salvage Title Tesla

Discussion in 'Canada' started by solardaddy, Jun 19, 2019.

1. solardaddy

solardaddy New Member

Hello Im new to the forum.
    Although I currently don't own my own Tesla till probably this coming winter I would like to try finding a salvage Tesla, (any model or year) not to rebuild but to utilize the battery for a solar project. I currently have 10kw of solar grid tied and would love to cut the cord..
    I am trying to get off grid completely before I get my own model 3
    Just tossing out the idea that if any of you fine folks find yourselves in the unfortunate position of writing off your beloved car, is there any chance you can buy back your wrecked car which I can pay you for so that I may salvage the battery..

I have tried to go the auction route but I would have to be a dealer or some sort of registered business with them.

Thanks and lets see some suggestions or comments... 403 eight zero nine 7849 Joe the plumber/hobby guy

2. YusufT

YusufT Member

Have you looked into investing in a powerwall?

3. BEPA400

BEPA400 Member

If you’re diy enough to salvage the battery... Why not just bulk buy a ton of good 18650 cells with a storage/discharge profile optimized for solar storage from a reputable vendor? Build your own packs and series/parallel them to whatever overall voltage suits you. Set your charge controller to whatever peak voltage works for you. Swap out bad cells as they arise.. Everything would be exactly custom to your setup, optimum everything (except time/effort tradeoff) Personally I would house that diy battery in a shed separate from my main house though! ;)

4. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

A salvage Tesla is going to hit you $15k if you get lucky. You can use a broker on the auction sites for $199 a year but beware, some of the cars will be without battery and you may just buy a shell. Try something you can use and stack like the Lg7 modules going for around $350 each with passive cooling. There are also much better places on this forum to find this out.

5. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Active Member

Look up Rich Rebuilds on YouTube. He salvages Tesla’s and does part some of them out via a rebuild network, and you can more than likely scoop up enough battery modules for the project you have in mind.

6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

My wife's 3 was totaled. Battery seemed to be in great shape. zero wear and the bigger battery.
    It's sitting without a charger in some random lot with 3 miles showing on the app.
    Either intentionally or via stupidity they are basically destroying one heck of a nice battery pack! :(

Seems like a waste to me, but they paid us for it, so it's not our problem...

7. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

@wk057 has done this. I'm not sure he's still active on this forum, but he is on twitter