Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvaged Model 3 auction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to give the word before it goes back on the street?

Nope, you only need to follow the rules for your state to get the car back on the road. Tesla needs to "give the word" if you want them to provide any support/service for the car. (Including app access.)

What that means for the Model 3 is that salvage cars are likely going to be restricted to using the key card and not the phone as a key option for unlocking and starting.

Nope, you only need to follow the rules for your state to get the car back on the road. Tesla needs to "give the word" if you want them to provide any support/service for the car. (Including app access.)

What that means for the Model 3 is that salvage cars are likely going to be restricted to using the key card and not the phone as a key option for unlocking and starting.
Thanks for the info, that's good news. I thought I had read somewhere that once the airbags deploy, the vehicle becomes undriveable and Tesla needs to do some software magic before it can even move under its own power again. And of course, they won't do their software magic until they deem the car to be safe. Again, could be totally wrong, just going from memory here.

As was the case with the first few Model S salvage auctions, this one for a 3 is likely to go for some outrageous amount. There was speculation that Tesla themselves bought the first few Model S that went to auction, although can't confirm that. It wouldn't surprise me if this Model 3 auction went for $40k or more.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
As was the case with the first few Model S salvage auctions, this one for a 3 is likely to go for some outrageous amount. There was speculation that Tesla themselves bought the first few Model S that went to auction, although can't confirm that. It wouldn't surprise me if this Model 3 auction went for $40k or more.
They can buy a running example of a Model 3 off Ebay for under $60k.
2018 Tesla MODEL 3 Premium Long Range | eBay
Hence why I estimate a much lower price since some significant and hard to get components might be busted.

Reactions: dhrivnak
From what I have read and You-tube videos show Tesla does not want salvage cars back on the road. They will not sell parts to do so and there is no other place to buy them.

This will become a parts car most likely. Someone might buy it for a battery conversion if the Standard range car ever gets built. There is no way it will sell for $21,000 with no factory support to allow the car back on the road.

From what I have read and You-tube videos show Tesla does not want salvage cars back on the road. They will not sell parts to do so and there is no other place to buy them.

This will become a parts car most likely. Someone might buy it for a battery conversion if the Standard range car ever gets built. There is no way it will sell for $21,000 with no factory support to allow the car back on the road.

$21k would be the value of salvage parts, which are normally sold at 1/2 retail if in good shape. Since the 3 is so new, they can probably fetch closer to MSRP for parts. Who knows? Just the glass might fetch $2000 or more today. Certainly the doors and rear end body parts will fetch thousands. If it were anything but a Tesla, a $50k car would fetch about $15k with that damage.

Normally, private buyers are not allowed to bid at these auctions. You need a business license, sometimes an auto-related business license. Dismantlers have a lot of experience what a wreck is worth in parts.