Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvaged Tesla with no Keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good information brother. I will call and ask again. Do you know by any chance if they can sell you a pre-programmed key card?

Also, when I spoke to someone in the Tesla "leadership" whatever that means. He pretty much said it's impossible to get a key for it and was rude about it. Short answers and couldn't wait to hang up. He told me my only option is to have it inspected by them and once approved then they can work on it. The inspection price is between $10k-$20k or something ridiculous like that.

I haven't heard of them selling pre-programmed cards.

Last I heard the HV inspection fee was just over $500. I would just submit a service request via the app requesting that they program key cards that you already have. I would hope that they just send mobile service to you to perform the work.

You could also just try driving up and asking service if they can program the card, it is quick so they will sometimes just do it on the spot. (Maybe at a different SC if you have another alternative close by.)

Reactions: mmuhi
I have app access and I can do some functions but to start the car you need to enable the phone as a key first and to do that you need the original key card.
Are you sure about that? Have you tried? I just disconnected my phone (removed as key) from my car, turned off BT, and it let me do keyless driving. I just had to enter my Tesla account password.

it should work since you can have a stranger download the app on their phone and you can log in & start it in an emergency (or so I’ve heard).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Are you sure about that? Have you tried? I just disconnected my phone (removed as key) from my car, turned off BT, and it let me do keyless driving. I just had to enter my Tesla account password.

it should work since you can have a stranger download the app on their phone and you can log in & start it in an emergency (or so I’ve heard).
Interesting, I will give that a try as well.

How would he do that without a card that car turn on the car? I would assume that the only way to get it to a SC at this point is on a flatbed, isn't it?
He said that the car was added to his account in the Tesla app, so he can use the remote start feature in the app to start the car and drive it. (Certainly not convenient for daily use, but workable enough to get it to the service center.)

I have app access and I can do some functions but to start the car you need to enable the phone as a key first and to do that you need the original key card.

My suggestion is to take the car to the service center. I know you’re supposed to have an appointment, but this is a 5 minute thing for them to get your new keycard paired. A little kindness goes a long way, and I’ve found the service center folks to be very friendly and try to do their best.

I don't get why this is hard. If the car is already in your account and it is even attached to the phone's app (not phone as key yet), can't you just call Tesla and say that "I lost my key cards, can you send me one? I'll pay obviously. You can check that I own the car because it's attached to my account." Done.

BACB1502-68E5-4341-B849-7703C73288F3.jpeg

He won't be able to unless he initially sets up his phone as a key as well. In order for him to do that , he needs a working key which he does not have

I still have doubts that this is true. The phone as a key, is a Bluetooth/RFID connection: phone directly to car. App control is via internet: phone to the Tesla servers, then back to the car.

The OP should be able to start the car via the app.
I hopes he/she’s not “one and done” as I’d like to know how this turns out.

Why can't use start with key cards. You said you could unlock with the cards. Just place the card on the console.

They dont have the keycards

He does have key cards, but they can't be programmed to the car without one of the original key cards, which are missing. His unprogrammed key cards will neither unlock nor start the vehicle.

When I bought my car it came with 2 programmed key cards. From that you can added additional cards and/or phones as keys. But you have to have a programmmed key authenticated with the car first. Tesla does that in house so you are handed keys at purchase that have been programmed already to your car. Sure that means the key card info is listed in their database under the car’s VIN. OP said the key cards were suppose to have been transferred to him but were lost or missing and he never got one. I’m also assuming it had been removed/wiped from the car’s key list probably so car couldn’t be started and stolen on the lot or would this be something done when a car is declared salvaged? Unless Tesla will provide him with a programmed key card he’s stuck.

I will add that a friend of ours left home for a week’s vacation out of town. New owner and told him to make sure he had his key card with him. I forgot what happened but think he misplaced his phone and was freaking out. That’s when we said use your key card and he then realized he had inadvertently not put it in his wallet before leaving home. Loves just using his phone (and why carry something extra in his wallet so typically never did). He did eventually find his phone and decided he wanted to pick up a key card before leaving to go back home just in case something happened to his phone. Drove to a Service Center and they were able to look him up as an owner and he bought the blank key cards and they programmed it for him. If ownership transferred I would think it should work this way for OP unless the fact it was salvaged is the underlying problem. I thought salvaged cars couldn’t supercharge. Didn’t know keys could be a problem getting however.

Last edited:
When I bought my car it came with 2 programmed key cards. From that you can added additional cards and/or phones as keys. But you have to have a programmmed key authenticated with the car first. Tesla does that in house so you are handed keys at purchase that have been programmed already to your car. Sure that means the key card info is listed in their database under the car’s VIN. OP said the key cards were suppose to have been transferred to him but were lost or missing and he never got one. I’m also assuming it had been removed/wiped from the car’s key list probably so car couldn’t be started and stolen on the lot or would this be something done when a car is declared salvaged? Unless Tesla will provide him with a programmed key card he’s stuck.

I will add that a friend of ours left home for a week’s vacation out of town. New owner and told him to make sure he had his key card with him. I forgot what happened but think he misplaced his phone and was freaking out. That’s when we said use your key card and he then realized he had inadvertently not put it in his wallet before leaving home. Loves just using his phone (and why carry something extra in his wallet so typically never did). He did eventually find his phone and decided he wanted to pick up a key card before leaving to go back home just in case something happened to his phone. Drove to a Service Center and they were able to look him up as an owner and he bought the blank key cards and they programmed it for him. If ownership transferred I would think it should work this way for OP unless the fact it was salvaged is the underlying problem. I thought salvaged cars couldn’t supercharge. Didn’t know keys could be a problem getting however.
So they were able to program a key without the car being physically there?