Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvaged Tesla with no Keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can read about all of these same troubles in model s and x threads. I have a friend that says he can program key fobs. I don't know if he can do key cards. PM for info. Note to everyone that buys at auction, they almost always steal the charge cord and keys. They say that they collect them to keep them from being stolen but they never end up back with the car and are sold off under the table. These same problems have been happening for many years...

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Any updates on this? I agree that I don't understand the difficulty. If the OP has app access, it seems they could select CONTROLS and then enable keyless driving. Most of the complaints of buying at auction and not having a key involve also not having app access (no title, no ability to prove ownership to Tesla).

As an aside, I have a brand new Model Y that I haven't paired any phones to act as keys yet. I just opened my app and sure enough, I have the option to enable keyless driving under controls.

It seems we need more info from the OP and from others with key requests...

Any updates on this? I agree that I don't understand the difficulty. If the OP has app access, it seems they could select CONTROLS and then enable keyless driving. Most of the complaints of buying at auction and not having a key involve also not having app access (no title, no ability to prove ownership to Tesla).

As an aside, I have a brand new Model Y that I haven't paired any phones to act as keys yet. I just opened my app and sure enough, I have the option to enable keyless driving under controls.

It seems we need more info from the OP and from others with key requests...
So the easiest way is to do the Tesla inspection. They will inspect the car and if it passes they will treat it like any other Tesla and do the service for it. If the car had damage to the high voltage system then I don't think it will pass. Anything else (body panels or paint) should be good to go. I also found someone who can program a new key for around $3k.

As for the app remote start, I can do it on my phone and there will be a counter of 20 seconds or something like that. I get in the car and on the dash, it says to push the brake paddle and put it in drive but when I do nothing happens. So I'm not sure what was up with that.

I get in the car and on the dash, it says to push the brake paddle and put it in drive but when I do nothing happens. So I'm not sure what was up with that.
I'm glad you shared that info. Thank you.

Have you driven a Tesla before? Do you see the park and drive great selectors showing up on your center display when you put your foot on the brake? What happens if you try to shift into drive?

I noticed a similar symptom on a wrecked model 3 yesterday. I had the key card, it asked for me to place it on the console to drive, but when I did nothing happened. I suspected it was a problem with the 12v battery being very low on charge or possibly the pyrotechnic fuse being blown. Not sure if any of that info helps. Good luck.

So the easiest way is to do the Tesla inspection. They will inspect the car and if it passes they will treat it like any other Tesla and do the service for it. If the car had damage to the high voltage system then I don't think it will pass. Anything else (body panels or paint) should be good to go. I also found someone who can program a new key for around $3k.

As for the app remote start, I can do it on my phone and there will be a counter of 20 seconds or something like that. I get in the car and on the dash, it says to push the brake paddle and put it in drive but when I do nothing happens. So I'm not sure what was up with that.
Hey i bought a new tesla from a action, i would like to know how you manage to get the tesla ownership transfer to your account.

Hey i bought a new tesla from a action, i would like to know how you manage to get the tesla ownership transfer to your account.
Create an account on Tesla's website. Once you log in, you should see this option:
1625584011778.png

Click the Add button and follow the instructions.
1625584109139.png

You can also start the process by going to Account and then go the the Ownership Transfer section.
1625584178811.png

Shouldn’t you have looked into this before buying the car? Tesla does not provide much support to salvage cars.
Selling an owner a keycard should have nothing to do with the status of the vehicles title.

Is Op the owner of the car? If yes, he should be able to purchase all the key cards he needs from the manufacturer. Name one other auto manufacturer that draws such a ludicrous line in the sand.

When my Dec 2019 build "2020" Model was totaled the I went to give the keys back to the yard after I got my personal items from the car. They said we don't need it. I said are you sure, especially since the car was an easy repair vs part. They said no. I didn't argue since I could sell them. Of course they called a month later asking if I had them and I told them no since your guy wouldn't take them back. Maybe he didn't understand it was an actual key, or thought they were only going to strip it.

In any case I left the car on my account to see what happened. Three months later it was activated on someone else's account and forcibly removed from mine.

Of course before I left I logged out, changed name, or reset everything I had access to.

Reactions: mmuhi
I bought a salvaged 2019 Model 3 from an auction and it came with no keys. I was able to add the car to my tesla account but I can not enable my phone as a key without the actual keys.

Tesla will not work on it. Does anyone know how to program a key? How hard it would be to do it myself? Any info would be appreciated.
I am in a similar situation , bought 2020 tesla model Y , no keys , salvage title , bought replacement key cards , app doesn’t allow me to add car in the app because it is asking for access to the car. Please help what should I do ?

one can get the App working as a key to fix car. once car is almost ready, just request mobile service for a new key. Please be aware that as of last week, keys were in back order. But if you get one, they will go and program it for you, free or almost free. if they provide key is about $179 or something like that.