TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Salvaged Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Quantum, May 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Quantum

Quantum New Member

Hi, new to the forum and I have a really good deal through a friend who totaled his model S and bought it back. Hes looking to sell me his salvaged Model S but I also read all horror stories of doing that. Has anything changed with Tesla standing on salvaged vehicles? Can even get the car up and running again or is it a true total loss?

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Right now the only cars that can be fixed are the ones that Tesla or one of their licensed shops fixes. Buying from a salvage title is a serious gamble...
    Walter

3. eco5280

eco5280 Member

He knew about the horror stories and still bought the car? He likes to gamble.

4. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

OP did not state he'd bought the car yet; was asking about feasibility.
    In the old days we'd pull the impossible-to-repair engine, maybe a Jag or something, and put in a Chevy. Replacing the entire lower half with ICE may be the only way to get a salvaged Model S on the road again. Yes, Ugh!
    ~Larry

5. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Um .. "a friend who totaled his model S and bought it back".

6. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

The OP knew the horror stories, the friend may not have.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

I wouldn't by a salvage MS for more than it's worth for parts.

There's a pretty good bet that the battery will have some issue over the next 8 years. They're still working the bugs and the technology out. The salvage car doesn't have the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive unit so it's probably just a matter of time before you have fork over $45K to replace the battery.

A salvage MS is worth a much smaller percentage of the non salvage counterpart compared to other cars.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

You can buy a salvaged Model S. Body repairs must be done using a trained/authorized shop, and Tesla will then have to inspect the car and run diagnostics. No warranty at all on a salvaged car.

- - - Updated - - -

The battery price has come down recently. I don't know to what extent it is, but it's less now.