Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvaged or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. My 13 p85 got boned last night.
Just right rear damage is all I can see.
I'm curious with anyone else's experience if you think this might be salvaged or repairable. I would almost prefer that it would be salvaged so I possibly could keep the car and sell off parts and maybe make a battery backup for the house.

Attachments

• 20180124_110923.jpg
    20180124_110923.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20180124_110848.jpg
    20180124_110848.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20180124_110857.jpg
    20180124_110857.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 97
Being a 2013 I’m sure it has depreciated to the point where this would be salvaged or could easily be salvaged by claiming other things.

Quarter panel repairs usually run into the 15-20k
Rear wheel bent and Tesla usually required a new drive unit to be installed in such cases which I can’t imagine being cheap.
Bumper is another $1600
Wheel + Tire ~$600?

If that’s not enough to total the car you could bring Diminished Vaue claim numbers to the insurance and add rental claims on top of that. All of those things added should be much more than enough to deem the car a total loss.
Best of luck in totaling your car?? ;)

You'd think the suspension arms would tell the story of having to call for a drive unit. If they're not bent or displaced at all... could be just a rim.

What's the underside shot supposed to be showing as damage?

Based on my recent experience, I'll bet they try to fix it first. It took my insurance company a good two weeks to decide to total out my much more damaged 2013 P85.

They might total it eventually, but it may be a battle.

My initial repair estimate listed the left quarter panel p/n 1021940S0A (I think this is the rear) as only $1150. Rear bumper cover 105291600A was listed at $307. (My total estimate with airbags and everything came in at $30k)

I am sure once it got to the shop, those numbers would have gone up a lot, so you just may have to wait until an approved body shop gets it up on a lift

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85
Based on my recent experience, I'll bet they try to fix it first. It took my insurance company a good two weeks to decide to total out my much more damaged 2013 P85.

My initial repair estimate listed the left quarter panel p/n 1021940S0A (I think this is the rear) as only $1150. Rear bumper cover 105291600A was listed at $307. (My total estimate with airbags and everything came in at $30k)

I am sure once it got to the shop, those numbers would have gone up a lot, so you just may have to wait until an approved body shop gets it up on a lift

You'd think the suspension arms would tell the story of having to call for a drive unit. If they're not bent or displaced at all... could be just a rim.

What's the underside shot supposed to be showing as damage?

So far, two shops have agreed that the rear drive unit will be replaced with the damage to the rear suspension (without even seeing the car). The car actually drove off the road after spinning a full 360 after being hit.

There isn't any sign of damage to the underside, mostly hidden from the covers, but the suspension is definitely broken, the Volva hit the car pretty much square on the rear wheel.

No certified shops in my area, so I had to send it down to Rocklin about an hour away for a shop just to take a look at it. Hopefully they are realistic about what its going to cost to fix it. They of course gave me a disclaimer of Tesla being slow for parts and that they have had Teslas take months to be fixed..

From the pics doesn’t justify a total, as for new drive unit can’t understand why a shop would say it need to be changed without eyes on it and inspection. Practice like this will only raise insurance rates for Tesla owners. Half the total Tesla’s out there wouldn’t be if certified shops and Tesla came down to earth!! As for an average quarter repair being in the 10,000 range is ludicrous . I have changed quarters on Honda civics that required more tools and tech than riveting and gluing a quarter on a Tesla s. I apalogize for reanting on your post I may of got a little off topic but short it doesn’t justify a total coming from a body tech.

Everyone was good (my mother) just scared. Thanks for the concern!

Good idea about the insurance check, might just do that. Frustrated to hear from the bodyshop the average Tesla takes 2-3 months.. seems ridiculous.. they apparently have a bunch of Tesla's "waiting".. I'll be on the phone with Tesla's Bodyshop team. No way this should take that long.
Body Shop Support

Initial Estimate of 14k, so probably not totaled, unless they find frame damage once its completely apart.. Full replacement of suspension, axle shaft, quarter panel, rear bumper, wheel and tire.
Didn't seem all that bad considering, but they gave me a 1 month time estimate :(

Attachments

• 20180124_140126.jpg
    20180124_140126.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 61
  • 20180124_140121.jpg
    20180124_140121.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 62