Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Same 324 mile drive - huge difference in efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try recirculating and see if it makes a difference.

ABRP was set to 95 F and it has been good at predicting charge times and consumption previously but it was also caught off guard.

Here is my temperature efficiency graph from TeslaFi. It show a 10% reduction in efficiency at 95-100 F that was the temperature yesterday compared to my last trip in May that was 70-75 F. So temperature matters for sure but is wind the other 24%? I have still to check if a caliper is stuck.
View attachment 696328
Anyone else have a similar TeslaFi graph to share? Perhaps my data is off.

I usually stop at Rover's Taxi in McAlester. Also done the MacDonald's off Indian Nation Turnpike but I prefer the food options downtown. ABRP usually recommend a 45 min stop on the way back but as I arrived way low I ended up staying 1h 12 min to get 45.4 kW. Chademo is painfully slow...

My emergency stop ended up in being in Durant. Can't really recommend it. EVGateway said the Chademo port was unavailable but when I used a credit card it showed up as available. The charger cut me off twice after about 5 minutes so I had to restart it.
Well, my model 3 shows quite a different trend, the higher the temperature, the higher the efficiency...
I do use a sun blocker, not sure how much impact it brings.
Lesson learned from my eight thousand miles round trip this may, precipitation matters, but not as much as wet surface. Same temperature, wet surface brings down at least 20% efficiency.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-25 205752.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-25 205752.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Yes, moving water away from under the tires has a cost. Look at the ABetterRoutePlanner advanced options... everything they have an option for is because it affects consumption, otherwise they wouldn't bother. Road condition (dry vs wet vs snowy) has an impact. Temperature does too, in both directions: hot means AC but lesser dense air to push through, cold means heating and denser air).

Reactions: kiddole