Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Same motors? SR vs LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there are any motor differences between the SR & LR versions? Obviously the battery is a different size, but is it the same motor? They have similar 0-60 speeds.

I'm asking because i'm wondering if Tesla ever increases the performance of the LR model via a OTA update would the SR model miss out on it?

I believe on the S they are smaller motors for the smaller battery pack, but i'm unsure.

Does anyone know if there are any motor differences between the SR & LR versions? Obviously the battery is a different size, but is it the same motor? They have similar 0-60 speeds.

I'm asking because i'm wondering if Tesla ever increases the performance of the LR model via a OTA update would the SR model miss out on it?

I believe on the S they are smaller motors for the smaller battery pack, but i'm unsure.
On the S, the 75D and 100D both have exactly the same size motors. As you can tell the larger pack gets upgrades that the smaller doesn't. This happens when the bottleneck is at the battery. So you will see the same thing with SR and LR.

Maybe a dumb question that's somehwat related: Is there a discernable difference between 5.1 0-60 and 5.6 0-60? I have no intention of flooring it, so I imagine the acceleration for passing/turns/etc is similar regardless of the 0-60 differences. This coming from someone who's never driven a car faster than a 8.5 0-60.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Falkirk
Maybe a dumb question that's somehwat related: Is there a discernable difference between 5.1 0-60 and 5.6 0-60? I have no intention of flooring it, so I imagine the acceleration for passing/turns/etc is similar regardless of the 0-60 differences. This coming from someone who's never driven a car faster than a 8.5 0-60.
A half second difference in 0-60 time is mostly imperceptible during daily driving. The biggest difference you'll notice is the instant torque, which should be almost identical for both versions.

I think you answered your own question.

You might be surprised, I had no intention of flooring it either until I owned an EV. Life's too short not to enjoy your own little roller coaster ride when you have the chance.

A half second is about a 10% difference, it's not huge but it's noticable.

SR and LR will have similar performance at lower speeds, LR will have better performance at mid and higher speeds. Up to about 35 mph there will be little difference, SR might even be more responsive due to a bit lower weight.

Its all about max battery current.

If you stick to your statement that you have "no intention of flooring it", then there will be no difference. As others have said, the M3 might change your perspective on this decision. If you are sure that's not you, then range is the ONLY consideration.