Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung and Tesla sign a half a billion dollars deal for Cybertruck cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Samsung and Tesla sign a half a billion dollars deal for Cybertruck cameras

Future Tesla Cybertruck owners will reportedly have their rearview ‘mirrors’ powered by Samsung Electro-Mechanics. The latter company has apparently struck a deal with Tesla worth $436 million, and as a result, Samsung will reportedly supply the biggest EV manufacturer in the USA with its camera modules.

The reports originates from a couple of South Korean publications and claim that Samsung’s camera modules will be used by Tesla’s latest electric vehicle that was unveiled in November 2019, i.e., the Cybertruck. The prototype vehicle showcased on stage wasn’t equipped with conventional rearview mirrors, but instead, it used an array of cameras connected to the dashboard’s displays. The production model shouldn’t be all that different from the original prototype, and these reports further confirm that the Cybertruck will have a mirrorless design.

Samsung-Tesla tie-ins go back half a decade​

Samsung and Tesla forming partnerships around EV technologies isn’t something new. The Korean tech giant has supplied Tesla with other EV-related technologies before, including batteries, and reports indicate that the new PixCell LED headlamp developed by Samsung will also be used by Tesla for its future EVs.

The AWD (all-wheel drive) Tesla Cybertruck model was originally planned to enter production later this year, with the the RWD (rear-wheel drive) model being slated for release in late 2022. There were rumors of a possible delay but it remains uncertain. Regardless of when the Cybertruck might go on sale, it will apparently leverage Samsung technologies for intelligent features.

Why do you want Mirros if the cameras work just as well?

How do cameras on the side of a truck see behind a trailer that’s wider than the truck? The cameras would either need to protrude past the sides of the trailer or the trailer would need cameras on it. This is why modern towing mirrors extend - to provide sight lines around a trailer that’s wider than the truck.

Cameras would certainly get the job done if you were towing a small trailer or nothing at all.

Why do you want Mirros if the cameras work just as well?
The cameras do not work as well. That’s the point. Mirrors and the human eyes and Brain all work together. Camera views are not the same. You get red colors in the view as seen by your eyes and your brain takes longer to see and adjust to what your eyes are seeing. I know I did not explain it that well, but there is a delay in understanding what your eyes see using only a camera view. That delay is not acceptable and dangerous

They are telescoping similar to the power mirrors. When you are towing a dingus comes of the truck to improve the view.
It's very likely the FSD features will be able to reverse a trailer better than humans.
In aviation the full autopilot can fly an airliner better, and into lower weather conditions than humans.
The autoland system can land in such low visibility that there is a serious issue just for the human pilot to find the way off the runway to the gate.

Reactions: X-pilot
Would not surprise me at all. Ford has had automated trailer steering via the nav display for years now. You just drive the lines and the trailer magically goes where you steer it. Earlier Fords needed stickers on the trailer to work. Not sure if they still do.

I'm generally slow to embrace tech over proven practice - the reality is mirrors require little to work, and they can even work when (slightly) broken, while cameras/displays are more sensitive and have far more points of potential failure.

While I do love tech, I'd prefer real mirrors if possible.

That said, few technological advancements have been made by listening to people like me. :)

I envision the removable trailer cam being like a GoPro. You could stick to the back of of a trailer for going places or under the truck like Ford has. It will give the off road group some freedom to get creative and the regular people functionality. With that being said I would only spend $199 if it's an extra.

Ford has had automated trailer steering via the nav display for years now. You just drive the lines and the trailer magically goes where you steer it
I would love that feature in my Model X when towing my 17 ft camper trailer. I have a rear camera mounted on the trailer that communicates wirelessly with a display in the car that clips on the cars rear view mirror. If that trailer rear camera view could show in the cars center display, with lines added showing where the trailer is going to go when backing up (like Teslas have displayed for years now) that would be awesome! Maybe someday…

How do cameras on the side of a truck see behind a trailer that’s wider than the truck? The cameras would either need to protrude past the sides of the trailer or the trailer would need cameras on it. This is why modern towing mirrors extend - to provide sight lines around a trailer that’s wider than the truck.

Cameras would certainly get the job done if you were towing a small trailer or nothing at all.
Think wide-angle lens. Bluetooth capability affords remote cameras to be placed anywhere you want.