Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung Note 9/Galaxy Watch Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Samsung Note 9 that I use as my Model 3 key as well as have paired for media playback. I know BT connections are finicky, but I've had increasing issues with my Model 3, especially with the latest update and/or since I've had my Galaxy watch.

First off, the car will not unlock if my Note 9's screen is off and the device is locked. I'm standing right next to the car and it will not open until I turn on my Note 9 screen and (sometimes) unlock the device.

Once I'm inside the car, the Note 9 will randomly disconnect from BT and only through a combination of toggling BT off/on, re-scanning/connecting on my Note 9 and connecting (via BT screen in car) will it re-connect in the same driving session. If I leave it disconnected, about half the time it will reconnect like normal the next time I get in the car. The BT media/phone disconnects in car have no impact on my ability to drive and the car lock when I get out.

I've had my 3 for about 4 months, but the BT/phone key issues have gotten much worse in the last month. I've tried all the various tips for Android phone key use (making sure the Tesla app isn't put to sleep, granting all permissions). I do notice that the BT media/phone connection tends to be more stable if I don't have my Galaxy watch on.

I'm hoping someone else out there has a Note 9 and a Galaxy watch and can comment if they have any issues.

I have note 8 and works flawlessly and would not consider going back to key fob but always worried about how tesla deals with multiple phone manufactures, frequent software updates to these phones and new models. Must be a nightmare for them since nobody blames phone but does blame tesla

I have a Samsung Note 9 that I use as my Model 3 key as well as have paired for media playback. I know BT connections are finicky, but I've had increasing issues with my Model 3, especially with the latest update and/or since I've had my Galaxy watch.

First off, the car will not unlock if my Note 9's screen is off and the device is locked. I'm standing right next to the car and it will not open until I turn on my Note 9 screen and (sometimes) unlock the device.

Galaxy Note 9 and Galaxy Watch user here. Picking up my Model 3 this afternoon :) Will let you know if I see any issues with BT!

Thanks. I'm getting more convinced that there's an issue with the BT dropping because of a conflict between the watch and the Tesla app and the vehicle's BT connection for media. A few times now I've noticed that my watch will lose connection to the phone when I'm approaching the car, or if/when I don't have my watch on me, the phone key connection and media connection in the car is (relatively) more reliable.

I also think there's a system-level issue that turns off BT LE when the screen is off and the device is locked. It's almost 100% that if I haven't used my phone for a while and it's locked with the screen off, the car won't open.

I have a Note 8 and am having the same problems you are describing. My note 8 is stock and I have a dual motor 3. Were you able to figure it out?

Yeah, I'm convinced there's something different on the BT radio in the 3 vs. the new X/S. I had a brand new S loaner for 10 days while my 3 was at the Service Center and the S exhibited none of the in-car media/phone BT connectivity issues that my 3 has. I had an X prior to getting the 3, and while the X still had issues with my Note 9/Watch combination on occasion, the 3 almost consistently doesn't connect when I have my watch on when getting into the car.

I've done more experimenting and found that the in-car media/phone connection is much more reliable and quick to connect if my Galaxy watch is on airplane mode before I enter the car. I think there's a conflict between the Galaxy wear app blocking the 3's connection attempt when I get in.

Finally, I just updated my Note 9 to Android Pie this week and there's a marked improvement in the in-car media/phone connection when my watch is connected to my phone. It's still not perfect, but there's a definite improvement.

Regarding the key connection, it's acting normally provided I don't have my phone in my back pocket when I approach the car.