Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tried a Note 8, S9, S10, and Note 10 with my Model 3. All have Bluetooth issues. They fail with proximity unlock leaving me standing in the rain. When on a call and entering the vehicle they fail to properly handoff audio (mainly mic transfer).

However, two different Pixel 3 XLs and a Pixel 4 XL have no problem with the same vehicle. What's up with Samsung phones and the Model 3?

Those with Samsung phones and no issues... Do you often enter the car on a call? My speaker will typically transfer but mic will drop out completely so the other person cannot hear me. I end up throwing it in speaker phone or telling the other side I'll call back.

If I approach the car on a call I usually have to bend down close to the handle to get it to unlock or tell the person to hold on while I toggle BT.

Again, none of these issues are present on the Pixels. I've had the local service center look at this twice but can't really blame the car since it appears to be a Samsung thing...

I'm afraid it might be the car. My car has had issues with BT connection on S9, S10e, S10, Essential Phone, iPhone7, iPhone8 and iPhoneX. I would suggest you try the following things first, though:
Turn on WiFi and Bluetooth scanning:
Settings -> Biometrics and security -> Location -> Improve Accuracy -> Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth Scanning.

Turn off battery saver for the Tesla app:
Settings -> Search for Optimize battery usage and open it -> Switch to all apps from the dropdown -> Find tesla, turn OFF battery optimization

This works wonders if it's not an issue with your car like it is with mine.

I have a Note 8 and haven't experienced any major Bluetooth issues in my year with the car
other than maybe about 3 or 4 times it taking a little longer to unlock
I have a Note 8 and I never had any issues with Bluetooth to open the car,
but the audio and phone setting doesn't really work.

When I select the Bluetooth screen to set the car audio,
the car detect the phone and connect with it, but constantly disconnect and try to reconnect.

I had some software releases for which the phone was working
(I mean when getting a call, I hear rigging and I was able use the speaker phone of the car to have a conversation)
but most of the time this is not working.

In fact, if I have passengers, I prefer not to have the full conversation audible by every one.
I wonder if there is a simple way to make a call private or not?

However, if I'm driving I don't use the phone, only my passengers does.
But I imagine that if you use your phone for your work, not having an hands-free mode might be an issue.

Last edited:
I've tried all the tricks to kill battery optimization, cleared cache, reset network, etc. etc. - really anything I could find online that might solve it. It sounds like you narrowed the issue to your car...what was the solution?
The only solution I've found which isn't "learn to live with it" is to sell your car and get a new one.
I did the latter (but not only for this issue, that's absurd)

Nothing will make you miss having an old fashioned key you have to stick in a hole and turn like Tesla Model 3 Phone Key.

My F150 had an old fashion key. Some upstanding citizens jammed a screwdriver in the driver keyhole and cleaned it out. I replaced that hole with a reinforced steel plate. Happy with the tech and ease of use on Pixel, just perplexed by the Samsung compatibility issues.

If you are having issues in using your samsung phone as a Tesla car key then follow these instructions to solve the issue:
1) In the Tesla car screen click the bluetooth icon
2) In the dialog that pops up, on the top right of the screen you should see a "information icon".
1639943451163.png
Click that and follow all the instructions as is. If that doesn't solve the issue then go to step 3 below.
3) Open the Tesla app on your phone.
4) Go to the security option.
5) In the security screen you'll see your phone key. Click that.
6) In the pop up you should see a button that(I don't remember what it's called, but it should be self explanatory)when clicked will reconnect the bluetooth and will resolve the issue once and for all.

The bluetooth issue came up after either the phone or tesla software got updated. I followed the above steps and the issue got resolved. Hope this helps someone. Good Luck!!

If you are having issues in using your samsung phone as a Tesla car key then follow these instructions to solve the issue:
1) In the Tesla car screen click the bluetooth icon
2) In the dialog that pops up, on the top right of the screen you should see a "information icon". View attachment 745986Click that and follow all the instructions as is. If that doesn't solve the issue then go to step 3 below.
3) Open the Tesla app on your phone.
4) Go to the security option.
5) In the security screen you'll see your phone key. Click that.
6) In the pop up you should see a button that(I don't remember what it's called, but it should be self explanatory)when clicked will reconnect the bluetooth and will resolve the issue once and for all.

The bluetooth issue came up after either the phone or tesla software got updated. I followed the above steps and the issue got resolved. Hope this helps someone. Good Luck!!
Why for all that is holy are you replying to a 3 year old thread on fixing a phone issue that is not even a fix? This thread is so old that the phone is probably dead and the OP's kids are dead.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt