Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung T5 SSD no longer connecting after latest software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using a Samsung T5 SSD successfully for a couple of years now as a music library, that is, until the last Tesla software update.

Since then, the car claims "USB drive file system is corrupted--Reformat drive to restore."

Plugging the SSD into my PC, the drive reads normally, and passes the corruption check on WIndows 10.

I haven't changed the drive in any way prior to the latest update, so it seems likely the problem's with the Tesla software update itself that's causing the error.

Any suggestions for how to fix this?

FWIW...

I have the same Samsung drive in my Model 3. When I had it formatted in FAT32, vehicle firmware updates would occasionally corrupt the disk, requiring me to reformat it fairly frequently. Ever since I formatted it with exFAT, I haven't had a problem with it. It would appear that firmware updates don't always correctly unmount the drive, causing directly corruption. However, exFAT seems to be much less susceptible to this.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I have 2018 LR RWD Model 3 currently on 2021.24.11 and the USB error has been going on for several weeks. I have tried the following:

• Reformat using computer to ExFat
  • Reformat using car
  • Tested drive for errors on my Mac using Disk Utility (no errors). Drive works fine on my computer.
  • Swapped drives with my wife who has 2020 Model S Raven (2021.32.10) and uses exact duplicate of my T5. Her T5 in my car causes the same error message. My drive in her Model S has no error messages.

At this point I suspect a software problem in the Model 3. However, I then started getting intermittent power from both USB ports and then they completely went out for a day. Spontaneously USB power is now back. I still get error message on both T5 drives.

I am going to hope for software update and messaged service to add on USB port power loss for upcoming service center visit. Any other suggestions to troubleshoot this?

I have 2018 LR RWD Model 3 currently on 2021.24.11 and the USB error has been going on for several weeks. I have tried the following:

• Reformat using computer to ExFat
  • Reformat using car
  • Tested drive for errors on my Mac using Disk Utility (no errors). Drive works fine on my computer.
  • Swapped drives with my wife who has 2020 Model S Raven (2021.32.10) and uses exact duplicate of my T5. Her T5 in my car causes the same error message. My drive in her Model S has no error messages.

At this point I suspect a software problem in the Model 3. However, I then started getting intermittent power from both USB ports and then they completely went out for a day. Spontaneously USB power is now back. I still get error message on both T5 drives.

I am going to hope for software update and messaged service to add on USB port power loss for upcoming service center visit. Any other suggestions to troubleshoot this?
Update after service visit: Hardware issue with USB port

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
My T5 stopped working recently in my Model 3, but still works fine when attached to a PC. Multiple reformats haven’t fixed it.

Im now using the T5 as a PC drive, and have switched to a thumb drive for Sentry storage… for now.

My T5 stopped working recently in my Model 3, but still works fine when attached to a PC. Multiple reformats haven’t fixed it.

Im now using the T5 as a PC drive, and have switched to a thumb drive for Sentry storage… for now.
You should be running TeslaUSB on a Pi3+ or a Pi4 or a PiZeroW. I run TeslaUSB on a Pi4 with a 1TB SSD. Soooo much better in every way.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer