Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

SAMSUNG T7 SSD ISSUE

Current T7 1tb issue. You can see the SSD light in the glovebox. To be fair, sentry still works.
20220328_192434.jpg

Last edited:
Our T7 has been having issues even in the other port. I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla because we’re right at the end of our 25k mile warranty since we installed MCU2. Tesla Service is refusing to help. They say that the T7 is too large & that I need to buy the Tesla flash drive from them if I want it to work properly.

cgell

Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2020
NJ
Our T7 has been having issues even in the other port. I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla because we’re right at the end of our 25k mile warranty since we installed MCU2. Tesla Service is refusing to help. They say that the T7 is too large & that I need to buy the Tesla flash drive from them if I want it to work properly.
Service can’t really do anything about it. I would recommend using the USB option from Tesla. If you need more space then you can get the same drive with double the space - Samsung USB.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Service can’t really do anything about it. I would recommend using the USB option from Tesla. If you need more space then you can get the same drive with double the space - Samsung USB.
A standard thumb drive won't last long when used with Dashcam/Sentry mode in the Tesla vehicle. You need to use an Endurance type memory storage for longest life. Samsung PRO Endurance (128GB) microSD card or Sandisk High Endurance (128GB or 256GB) microSD card. Sandisk also offers a Max Endurance card for even longer life when used with video recording applications. The Sandisk MobileMate USB reader works well with these memory cards in the Tesla vehicle.

A standard thumb drive won't last long when used with Dashcam/Sentry mode in the Tesla vehicle. You need to use an Endurance type memory storage for longest life. Samsung PRO Endurance (128GB) microSD card or Sandisk High Endurance (128GB or 256GB) microSD card. Sandisk also offers a Max Endurance card for even longer life when used with video recording applications. The Sandisk MobileMate USB reader works well with these memory cards in the Tesla vehicle.
my stock USB lasted a year before filling up.. I never delete anything. I just copied it all over to my computer and deleted it off the USB and put it back in the car. Most footage was from a restaurant I ate at and had sentry events every minute for the entire time we were eating.

Sounds like some people get way more sentry events than I do.

cgell

Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2020
NJ
my stock USB lasted a year before filling up.. I never delete anything. I just copied it all over to my computer and deleted it off the USB and put it back in the car. Most footage was from a restaurant I ate at and had sentry events every minute for the entire time we were eating.

Sounds like some people get way more sentry events than I do.
I think he was referring to the longevity of the drive (how long before it fails), not the available space.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Dashcam/Sentry mode need a memory device capable of a high number of read/write operations. A standard thumb drive is not designed for this type of operation and can be expected to fail fairly quickly. Once the memory storage is damaged you may not be able to the full capacity of the storage device after it is corrupted. The Endurance type memory storage is designed for high volume read/write operations such as video recording and dashcams. I had two non-Endurance microSD cards in dashcam use. One became damaged after only a few months. The other microSD card (same type) did not fail.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC