Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAMSUNG T7 SSD ISSUE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a few sentry events I noticed I was unable to view. Then I noticed i didnt have the cam viewer icon in the upper right. So I unplugged and replugged in my samsung t7 ssd and then pressed format and confirmed. Then the cam viewer icon appears. After selecting launch viewer it would crash and the icon would disappear until i would reformat again. Select launch viewer and again it would crash or icon disappear... I plugged the drive into my desktop and it shows up there. Any idea how I can get this working or fix this?

Similar here with 2 different Samsung T7 500GB. After being away for a few weeks, I discovered 700 Sentry events arriving home. I got bored watching my F&F walking by my MY, so I decided to re-format the drive in-situ using the UI. That was 2 daze ago and now it doesn't work at all (no record on honk, no launch viewer, no Sentry Mode videos). D'oh.

I had a few sentry events I noticed I was unable to view. Then I noticed i didnt have the cam viewer icon in the upper right. So I unplugged and replugged in my samsung t7 ssd and then pressed format and confirmed. Then the cam viewer icon appears. After selecting launch viewer it would crash and the icon would disappear until i would reformat again. Select launch viewer and again it would crash or icon disappear... I plugged the drive into my desktop and it shows up there. Any idea how I can get this working or fix this?
Why would you need an SSD? Regardless of the drive size you only get 1hr of dashcam. The rest is Sentry. 128Gb seems plenty.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Similar here with 2 different Samsung T7 500GB. After being away for a few weeks, I discovered 700 Sentry events arriving home. I got bored watching my F&F walking by my MY, so I decided to re-format the drive in-situ using the UI. That was 2 daze ago and now it doesn't work at all (no record on honk, no launch viewer, no Sentry Mode videos). D'oh.
my issue was fixed by connecting to my computer, reformatting and manually adding the teslacam folder.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoffEV
Since installing 2022.4 in our Legacy Model S with MCU2 last Thursday we've been having issues with our Samsung T7 for SentryMode. The car will show an error with the drive. We try to reformat in the car but that doesn't work. We'll reformat via computer & add the TeslaCam folder & it will work fr less than 24 hours then it fails. When I bring the drive inside I discover that the TeslaCam folder has disappeared off the SSD. We had been using this drive with no issues from October when we bought it until installing 2022.4 last Thursday. I have reformatted the drive on both Windows & Mac computers but the car still accepts the T7 at first & then says it can't use it within 24 hours.

Any ideas to fix this?

• Informative
Reactions: Nightdown_fox
Since installing 2022.4 in our Legacy Model S with MCU2 last Thursday we've been having issues with our Samsung T7 for SentryMode. The car will show an error with the drive. We try to reformat in the car but that doesn't work. We'll reformat via computer & add the TeslaCam folder & it will work fr less than 24 hours then it fails. When I bring the drive inside I discover that the TeslaCam folder has disappeared off the SSD. We had been using this drive with no issues from October when we bought it until installing 2022.4 last Thursday. I have reformatted the drive on both Windows & Mac computers but the car still accepts the T7 at first & then says it can't use it within 24 hours.

Any ideas to fix this?
Also having this issue with my T7 SSD since the most recent updates… Sentry was talking FOREVER to show recordings, so I tried to reformat it in the car and it led to a series of unfortunate events and now the drive doesn’t work at all in the car.

Would be curious to know if you found any solutions to this

Also having this issue with my T7 SSD since the most recent updates… Sentry was talking FOREVER to show recordings, so I tried to reformat it in the car and it led to a series of unfortunate events and now the drive doesn’t work at all in the car.

Would be curious to know if you found any solutions to this
For us changing which USB port we use seems to have fixed it. The most recent time the car said we needed to format the drive to use it we just unplugged it & plugged it back in to the other USB port in the console. It has worked since.

For us changing which USB port we use seems to have fixed it. The most recent time the car said we needed to format the drive to use it we just unplugged it & plugged it back in to the other USB port in the console. It has worked since.
Unfortunately not an option for those of us that have a newer car without data ports in the console.

@Nightdown_fox have you tried formatting on your computer and/or a different cable? Some have had success with these.

I researched drives before I got my Y and saw a lot of people saying that the T7 had issues and suggesting that the T5 worked better for sentry. I decided to get the 256gb samsung bar plus usb. It’s the same usb that Tesla gives you (just without a Tesla logo), but twice the size. I have never had an issue with it.

I researched drives before I got my Y and saw a lot of people saying that the T7 had issues and suggesting that the T5 worked better for sentry. I decided to get the 256gb samsung bar plus usb. It’s the same usb that Tesla gives you (just without a Tesla logo), but twice the size. I have never had an issue with it.
I had read just the opposite that I ordered the T7…

I also read the opposite and the T5 was too slow.

I had to do a full reformat from my PC (not a quick reformat). Once I did that and added the folder, it’s back to loading Sentry clips just as quick as it did before the update.
Sentry doesn’t require a specifically fast drive, so speed is not really a factor between the T5 (sata ssd) and T7 (nvme ssd). The T5 writes at up to 540 MB/s and Sentry probably needs 4 MB/s minimum. Even if it was an issue, the claimed speed difference between the two is not exactly what it seems, especially when the files being transferred are not huge files. And when it does run faster it will also run hotter.

The issue is more about stability and reliability. The T7 runs hotter (most nvme ssds runs hotter than sata ssd) and had a lot of reviews stating that there were issues. The other issue people seem to have is problems with formatting. Somehow there seemed to be more reports of the formatting not working correctly on the T7.

I think people see a newer product and faster speeds and assume it’s better. I’m not saying I know it’s worse, just that I wouldn’t count on the T7 being better for Sentry. And for me, a cooler drive seems to be a better pick than a faster drive in this case.

Sentry doesn’t require a specifically fast drive, so speed is not really a factor between the T5 (sata ssd) and T7 (nvme ssd). The T5 writes at up to 540 MB/s and Sentry probably needs 4 MB/s minimum. Even if it was an issue, the claimed speed difference between the two is not exactly what it seems, especially when the files being transferred are not huge files. And when it does run faster it will also run hotter.

The issue is more about stability and reliability. The T7 runs hotter (most nvme ssds runs hotter than sata ssd) and had a lot of reviews stating that there were issues. The other issue people seem to have is problems with formatting. Somehow there seemed to be more reports of the formatting not working correctly on the T7.

I think people see a newer product and faster speeds and assume it’s better. I’m not saying I know it’s worse, just that I wouldn’t count on the T7 being better for Sentry. And for me, a cooler drive seems to be a better pick than a faster drive in this case.
Interesting. We switched to the T7 because the USB flash drive we had before frequently showed errors on the screen with the Tesla saying that the write speed was too slow even though it was rated for a more than sufficient write speed.

Interesting. We switched to the T7 because the USB flash drive we had before frequently showed errors on the screen with the Tesla saying that the write speed was too slow even though it was rated for a more than sufficient write speed.
There are definitely flash drives that will be too slow or unstable. But between two these two SSDs there is no difference really. The problem with reported speeds is that it may not maintain that speed.

Recently bought the T7 for my 2021 M3P and it won’t work in either ports, center console and glove box. When formatting thru car it runs for a few seconds and then displays an error message. Tried formatting thru my MacBook and creating said folders and still gives error.

My guess is that the power consumption of the T7 is too high causing stability issues. I know many people who are specifically using low power SSDs like the SK P31 with an enclosure for instance. Fast, High performance SSDs tend to use more power so are in which USB ports can support them.

My guess is that the power consumption of the T7 is too high causing stability issues. I know many people who are specifically using low power SSDs like the SK P31 with an enclosure for instance. Fast, High performance SSDs tend to use more power so are in which USB ports can support them.
The T7 uses 4.5W at peak power consumption according to tests I have found online, so I would be surprised if that was the issue. Most SSDs are around the same, usually about 3-6W peak.

I read something on reddit that sounds pretty legit. Would someone mind trying to format the drive on a linux box using ext4 and manually create the teslacam folder? I have a T7 that I bought prepping for my MYP...wondering if I need to return, but it makes sense to me that ext4 would be more compatible if someone wouldn't mind testing for us all.