Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAMSUNG T7 SSD ISSUE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current T7 1tb issue. You can see the SSD light in the glovebox. To be fair, sentry still works.
20220328_192434.jpg

Last edited:
Our T7 has been having issues even in the other port. I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla because we’re right at the end of our 25k mile warranty since we installed MCU2. Tesla Service is refusing to help. They say that the T7 is too large & that I need to buy the Tesla flash drive from them if I want it to work properly.

Our T7 has been having issues even in the other port. I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla because we’re right at the end of our 25k mile warranty since we installed MCU2. Tesla Service is refusing to help. They say that the T7 is too large & that I need to buy the Tesla flash drive from them if I want it to work properly.
Service can’t really do anything about it. I would recommend using the USB option from Tesla. If you need more space then you can get the same drive with double the space - Samsung USB.

Service can’t really do anything about it. I would recommend using the USB option from Tesla. If you need more space then you can get the same drive with double the space - Samsung USB.
A standard thumb drive won't last long when used with Dashcam/Sentry mode in the Tesla vehicle. You need to use an Endurance type memory storage for longest life. Samsung PRO Endurance (128GB) microSD card or Sandisk High Endurance (128GB or 256GB) microSD card. Sandisk also offers a Max Endurance card for even longer life when used with video recording applications. The Sandisk MobileMate USB reader works well with these memory cards in the Tesla vehicle.

Reactions: 101dals
A standard thumb drive won't last long when used with Dashcam/Sentry mode in the Tesla vehicle. You need to use an Endurance type memory storage for longest life. Samsung PRO Endurance (128GB) microSD card or Sandisk High Endurance (128GB or 256GB) microSD card. Sandisk also offers a Max Endurance card for even longer life when used with video recording applications. The Sandisk MobileMate USB reader works well with these memory cards in the Tesla vehicle.
my stock USB lasted a year before filling up.. I never delete anything. I just copied it all over to my computer and deleted it off the USB and put it back in the car. Most footage was from a restaurant I ate at and had sentry events every minute for the entire time we were eating.

Sounds like some people get way more sentry events than I do.

my stock USB lasted a year before filling up.. I never delete anything. I just copied it all over to my computer and deleted it off the USB and put it back in the car. Most footage was from a restaurant I ate at and had sentry events every minute for the entire time we were eating.

Sounds like some people get way more sentry events than I do.
I think he was referring to the longevity of the drive (how long before it fails), not the available space.

Dashcam/Sentry mode need a memory device capable of a high number of read/write operations. A standard thumb drive is not designed for this type of operation and can be expected to fail fairly quickly. Once the memory storage is damaged you may not be able to the full capacity of the storage device after it is corrupted. The Endurance type memory storage is designed for high volume read/write operations such as video recording and dashcams. I had two non-Endurance microSD cards in dashcam use. One became damaged after only a few months. The other microSD card (same type) did not fail.

Has anyone found a way to format a T7 for the Model Y? I read everything I could find, the car gives an error when trying to format through the car so I manually added a TeslaCam folder and the drive was renamed but still can not figure out how to get it to work with sentry 👎

I recently had to take the T7 out of my 2021 Model 3. It was failing at least twice a week: I'd get back to the car, it would say 1 sentry mode event, click on that popup, and nothing happens. There's a small red "x" on the camera icon and if you try clicking on that, it says USB drive error. Reformatting the drive (in the car) always fixes it... for a day or two. I just canned it and put in a 128Gb endurance flash drive. 500GB is not worth anything if every time you need it, the data is corrupted. The drive works fine on my PC so it seems like some of the most recent updates are causing a problem with the T7. At least that's my guess because it worked for almost a year and only recently (within the last month or two) started having problems. Again, not the drive: it works fine on my PC. It only has problems in the car.

Mike

I’ve never had success formatting the large T7 in our S. I’ve always had to do it on the computer. The car always gives an error formatting the drive. Tesla says this is because I’m not using the Tesla branded USB & that they can only support that drive, and no others.

I recently had to take the T7 out of my 2021 Model 3. It was failing at least twice a week: I'd get back to the car, it would say 1 sentry mode event, click on that popup, and nothing happens. There's a small red "x" on the camera icon and if you try clicking on that, it says USB drive error. Reformatting the drive (in the car) always fixes it... for a day or two. I just canned it and put in a 128Gb endurance flash drive. 500GB is not worth anything if every time you need it, the data is corrupted. The drive works fine on my PC so it seems like some of the most recent updates are causing a problem with the T7. At least that's my guess because it worked for almost a year and only recently (within the last month or two) started having problems. Again, not the drive: it works fine on my PC. It only has problems in the car.

Mike
There is a known bug in the current software that is causing the usb mounting to fail. Reformatting or changing the drive won’t help. Best temp fix for now is to unplug/replug the usb. It will work for a while before if fails again. Should be fixed in the .16 software releases. There are multiple threads on the topic if you want more info.

There is a known bug in the current software that is causing the usb mounting to fail. Reformatting or changing the drive won’t help. Best temp fix for now is to unplug/replug the usb. It will work for a while before if fails again. Should be fixed in the .16 software releases. There are multiple threads on the topic if you want more info.

.16 was pulled a week ago: nothing since. But I get what you are saying. Once they release whatever the next version is, maybe it'll be fixed.

Mike

I was referring to the 2022.16.x updates, not 2022.12.3.16 . Very few have received 2022.16, so I guess we’ll see if it fixes the issue.
Same. I was referring to 2022.16.0.3 which was seen for a few days about a week ago. It was pulled for whatever reason a week ago and no one has seen any 2022.16.x installs since. So who knows if we'll see a 2022.16.x. It might end up being 2022.18 (or some other random but increasing number) by the time we see it in a full rollout.

Mike