Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAMSUNG T7 SSD ISSUE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried formatting my T7 1TB ssd from my laptop and Tesla 2020 MY multiple times with no luck. "Error while formatting USB drive for Dashcam" in car.
I'm thinking it could possibly be a driver issue on certain Tesla models. Not sure though :( I'm going to try a SanDisk ssd next I think. I'm hoping an ssd solves the issue where my Dashcam requires unplugging and replugging in my USB stick every other drive for Dashcam to work.

I've tried formatting my T7 1TB ssd from my laptop and Tesla 2020 MY multiple times with no luck. "Error while formatting USB drive for Dashcam" in car.
I'm thinking it could possibly be a driver issue on certain Tesla models. Not sure though :( I'm going to try a SanDisk ssd next I think. I'm hoping an ssd solves the issue where my Dashcam requires unplugging and replugging in my USB stick every other drive for Dashcam to work.
I have a Sandisk 1TB SSD and experienced the same issue. Although I never had issues with an SSD in my Model S, I believe the confines of the glovebox contribute to overheating and affects performance because playback of videos takes 45-60 seconds to start, whereas videos are playable within 2-3 seconds with my Sandisk High Endurance microSD that has higher temperature tolerances.

I have a Sandisk 1TB SSD and experienced the same issue. Although I never had issues with an SSD in my Model S, I believe the confines of the glovebox contribute to overheating and affects performance because playback of videos takes 45-60 seconds to start, whereas videos are playable within 2-3 seconds with my Sandisk High Endurance microSD that has higher temperature tolerances.
I don't think it would be a heat issue for me as it occurs right away. I also don't have a glovebox usb on my 2020 MY.
I have been using that same SD card too!

Reactions: bsd107
I tried a T5 and T7 in my 2021 and the car was never happy with either one. It kinda worked but it would sometimes disconnect and it always had bad video artifacts. I switched to a 128GB endurance micro SD and MobileMate adapter about a month ago and no problems since. Video is clean and I haven't seen an artifact since I started using the endurance card. I too think there must be some sort of heat or power issue with the T5/T7 drives so I'm staying away from them.

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: Jaykk3 and jcanoe
Because the quality of flash used in most usb sticks is pretty terrible.
I bought a T7 because an article I read/watched suggested that the constant rewriting on the OEM provided stick will shorten its useful life. It also suggested that an SSD would store up to its capacity and not be limited to the one hour mentioned here.

Now reading of the hassles experienced by members here, I not sure I should bother with it. Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water....

I bought a T7 because an article I read/watched suggested that the constant rewriting on the OEM provided stick will shorten its useful life. It also suggested that an SSD would store up to its capacity and not be limited to the one hour mentioned here.

Now reading of the hassles experienced by members here, I not sure I should bother with it. Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water....
If it makes you feel any better, I've been using a T7 for over a year now (and in triple digit heat during summer) and haven't had any problems with the drive. There WAS a bug that was affecting ALL USB drives a few updates back, but all is working now.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been using a T7 for over a year now (and in triple digit heat during summer) and haven't had any problems with the drive. There WAS a bug that was affecting ALL USB drives a few updates back, but all is working now.
When you review Sentry recordings in the car, does the clip start to play pretty instantaneously with the T7? Or does it take a good 30-45 seconds to load the file? My Sandisk Extreme SSD and Samsung T5 take a while to load the file but Sandisk High Endurance microSD card can play recordings within 1-2 seconds.

Reactions: Wattsisname
When you review Sentry recordings in the car, does the clip start to play pretty instantaneously with the T7? Or does it take a good 30-45 seconds to load the file? My Sandisk Extreme SSD and Samsung T5 take a while to load the file but Sandisk High Endurance microSD card can play recordings within 1-2 seconds.
It loads pretty much instantly. Now, if I let sentry videos accumulate to the point where there are hundreds of them, then it takes a very long time for the dashcam viewer to open. Erasing the files or formatting makes it super speedy again. I now just delete any non-event sentry videos as I review them and there's no speed issue. Does make it pointless to get a large drive though as the whole system doesn't seem to be able to handle tons of video - I think that's a car software issue more than the drive though.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I know this thread is about errors from the T7 SSD but... if anyone is looking for a new drive, the 1TB model is on sale for $100 on amazon right now.

Not sure if links are allowed so mods pls delete or let me know and I can remove.
How did you secure the drive? Even with the rugged case, it’s still going to bounce around. Did you also you a angled adapter and a shorter usb wire to limits the movement?

How did you secure the drive? Even with the rugged case, it’s still going to bounce around. Did you also you a angled adapter and a shorter usb wire to limits the movement?
I'm actually using the original USB stick that came with the car. I don't feel the need to store hours of footage of people walking by my car in the parking lot ;)

But I do know that the T7 comes with a rubberized outside shell which I would imagine provides some friction and probably won't slide too much. Also, the drive is very rugged, you can drop it from 10ft with absolutely no damage. Since it's a solid state drive (aka no moving parts), vibrations and shifting around won't affect anything either. The only concern (a minor one at that) would be if it tugs on the cable... but simple solution here is just to get a slightly longer cable so the drive can travel the whole length of the glove box without straining the cable.

I'd also imagine you already have other stuff in your glove box like manual or insurance docs or whatever else. That would keep the drive's travel to a minimum.

If you're feeling paranoid, you could get one of those gripper pads for opening jars and stick it underneath or cut out a square of cabinet liner. If you go the more "permanent" route you can use stick-on velcro strips.

I'm not sure what T7 you're talking about with a rubberized shell etc. There may be a "rugged" version of it but the standard T7 that I have is just an aluminum case.

Not sure what "glitches" I'm supposed to be looking for -- it records as it is supposed to. There was a time (a few updates back) when the drive would have to be remounted regularly because it wasn't mounting properly -- that was fixed about a month or so ago.

EDIT: There's the Samsung T7 "Shield" which has a rubber shell -- that's not what I have.

Ahh my mistake! Yes I was thinking of the shield version. I didn't realize there was a normal non-rubberized version.

I think the glitches SpicyPaneer was talking about was those issues from about a month or two back. I had problems with the OEM USB stick so it was an issue with Tesla software, not the drive. Seems all is well now though, haven't had any problems after they came out with a slew of updates.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Ahh my mistake! Yes I was thinking of the shield version. I didn't realize there was a normal non-rubberized version.

I think the glitches SpicyPaneer was talking about was those issues from about a month or two back. I had problems with the OEM USB stick so it was an issue with Tesla software, not the drive. Seems all is well now though, haven't had any problems after they came out with a slew of updates.
We're still having problems with our T7. We are on FSD Beta 10.12.2 (2022.12.3.20). I'm hoping that with the next FSD Beta version which is on a 2022.20 branch the Sentry issues will be resolved.