Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung T7 SSD vs high endurance class 10 Micro SD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to create a root folder named /Dashcam
The folder needed is actually Teslacam... but the new firmware do not even need it... there is an option under Safety/Security to format the external drive and it creates everythign automatically... However, with my setup that otehr people successfully using (SD adapter and MicroSD), the fomrat USB option is greyed out... meaning the system does not recognize the drive.

Thank you for correcting my mistake. What about the size of the MicroSD card, were the other people using the same capacity card?

There are unfortunately some counterfeit products being sold. Is it too late to return the reader and the card?

Last edited:
I have the Samsung T7 512GB now, but I also have experienced the whine, some lagging on the screen when I unplugged and replugged, and it doesn't lay as nicely in the glovebox as a stick would. Should I keep it or go with the SD high endurance? Cost difference is a savings of $30 if I return the SSD.

I know the SSDs are working well for some folks but for me, the SD endurance card is working flawlessly with sentry mode recording events and functioning as expected. I would recommend if you want plug and play to try the same. Links are on this and other similar threads; if you cant find it, let us know and I’m sure I or someone will post them again.

I also had the Samsung T7 in our new Model Y and it was super responsive. I didn't detect any whine and scrubbing the video timeline was noticeably faster than in my Model S with a Samsung EVO 860 SSD. That said, I returned the T7 only because Costco has the 1 TB Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD, with similar specs, for $50 less. A few years ago I tried several Sandisk/Samsung microSDs and card readers and they each failed over time. I have not had any issues with SSDs. Also, I like the larger capacity of the SSD in case I also need to borrow it to backup some files from my PC/Mac.

That said, I also ordered a 256 GB Sandisk High Endurance card with the bundled MobileMate card reader. I expect it will work well, have a wider operating temperature range, and require less power than the 1 TB Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD. I haven't decided which I will keep (or maybe I will keep both for the same cost as the T7 I returned). For the majority of the time 256 GB high endurance microSD will be more than plenty but the 1TB SSD will be better if I am away on a trip and need to park at the airport for a week. Perhaps I will use the SSD as primary and use the microSD as a backup for times when I need to pull out the SSD to review videos.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GOVA
Really liked the Samsung T7 but returned it because the T7 operating range only goes up to 95 F. Costco had the 1TB Sandisk Extreme Portable on sale and operates up to 113 F, which is a good thing too:

93E2C62C-9499-4812-9E09-7116B5D83750.jpeg

I also have the 256 GB Sandisk High Endurance microSD but haven’t tested how hot it gets during operation.

Reactions: SWIPE
Really liked the Samsung T7 but returned it because the T7 operating range only goes up to 95 F. Costco had the 1TB Sandisk Extreme Portable on sale and operates up to 113 F, which is a good thing too:

I also have the 256 GB Sandisk High Endurance microSD but haven’t tested how hot it gets during operation.
Umm not sure where you got that spec, but the T7 is good to 60C (140F).

Also I would encourage anyone to spend the extra $20 to get the 1TB and then use the Samsung Magician software to over-provision it by 200-300MB. Reduces the overall space, but means that if cells fail you will get way more life out of the drive.

Umm not sure where you got that spec, but the T7 is good to 60C (140F).

Also I would encourage anyone to spend the extra $20 to get the 1TB and then use the Samsung Magician software to over-provision it by 200-300MB. Reduces the overall space, but means that if cells fail you will get way more life out of the drive.
The T7 Touch is rated up to 140 F. The regular T7 doesn’t clearly list operating temperature range.

A Reddit page has someone referencing the Samsung manual indicating guideline temp of 35 C/95 F for the regular T7.

I like the design of the T7 a lot and would still trust it for Sentry duty. Ultimately I returned the T7 because Costco had a sale on the comparable Sandisk 1 TB, and for the price of the 1TB T7 alone I was able to get both the 1TB Sandisk Extreme Portable V2 and also a 256 GB Sandisk High Endurance card as a spare backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIPE
The T7 Touch is rated up to 140 F. The regular T7 doesn’t clearly list operating temperature range.

A Reddit page has someone referencing the Samsung manual indicating guideline temp of 35 C/95 F for the regular T7.

I like the design of the T7 a lot and would still trust it for Sentry duty. Ultimately I returned the T7 because Costco had a sale on the comparable Sandisk 1 TB, and for the price of the 1TB T7 alone I was able to get both the 1TB Sandisk Extreme Portable V2 and also a 256 GB Sandisk High Endurance card as a spare backup.
Yeah I can see that. No matter which drive you end up with, I highly suggest using the overprovisioning tool to give yourself a lot of spare headroom for when cells start to fail.