Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung T7 SSD vs high endurance class 10 Micro SD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was getting ready for my potential delivery next week and getting my last supplies but I hadn't seen this before so wanted to ask. I started reading and saw some things where the cars now come with a usb stick in them already?

Yes but there have been many reports of premature failure - it stores Sentry footage, and probably isn't rated for the constant write cycles associated with that feature. Many people replace with an SSD USB drive, or a high write rated SD card + USB adapter. (I went the latter route).

Yes but there have been many reports of premature failure - it stores Sentry footage, and probably isn't rated for the constant write cycles associated with that feature. Many people replace with an SSD USB drive, or a high write rated SD card + USB adapter. (I went the latter route).
thanks. good to know!. funny, we had an ssd on our M3 and we had to change out our computer partly because of it. we went to the "tesla" stick but the samsung brand on the 3 and so far no problems.

Sorry, but what is Pi Zero 2?
Raspberry Pi. Newest low-power board with WiFi and on-the-go USB port is the Zero 2 at $15, but unfortunately sold out everywhere. Many have previously used the original Pi Zero W model to run the TeslaUSB project that wirelessly transfers your Sentry videos automatically to a network drive or NAS when you get home.

Speaking of which, I initially thought the Pi was helping load dashcam video faster than my SSD when viewing in-car. Turns out that’s not the case and the Sandisk High Endurance microSD connected directly to the USB port (instead of in the RPi) is still faster than my Sandisk 1TB SSD, despite the SSD being capable of faster read/wire speeds. I think this has to do with the higher operating temperature range of the High Endurance card over the SSD. I suspect the SSD is getting too close, or exceeding, it’s 113 F max operating temperature in the glove box and affecting its performance.

Outside the Model Y the SSD transfers files at 382 MB/sec but viewing dashcam recordings in the car takes a good 30-45 seconds to load up a clip, whereas recordings from the microSD are loaded almost instantly. The extra error-correcting and wear-leveling in the High Endurance microSD is probably also making access more reliable and consistent.

I started with microSD, then went to SSD, but will now stick with the High Endurance microSD.