Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung T7 SSD vs high endurance class 10 Micro SD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually unless you have a large music collection and plan to partition the SSD and store your music files you can use either a 128GB or 256GB High Endurance or Max Endurance Sandisk microSD card and reader. The 128GB SD card will store ~17 hours of Tesla video. Tesla stores 1 hour of Dashcam recordings and then overwrites the file (unless there is an incident that causes the last 10 minutes of video to be saved. Sentry Mode events are saved, also 10 minutes duration, until you delete them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PZTP34M/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084CJ9T2R/

Reactions: AquaY and voxel
I used to use a Samsung T7 drive, after awhile when the drive reaches around 50% capacity. The video clips tend to skip at random points when viewing.

I’m now using a dual Sandisk stick with USB C on one end and the other end is the older USB female end. Zero problems when scrubbing through video and no skips.

I have a Sandisk 1 tb card in a Jeda port thingy, worked well until I got the Christmas update and 24 hours later the beta FSD. One of the updates broke it, car says dashcam not available, when I have the car format it the car says it is formatting, then says error. Plugged into a computer the card checks fine. The card reader light is illuminated when the car is trying to access it. Hmm...

I have a Sandisk 1 tb card in a Jeda port thingy, worked well until I got the Christmas update and 24 hours later the beta FSD. One of the updates broke it, car says dashcam not available, when I have the car format it the car says it is formatting, then says error. Plugged into a computer the card checks fine. The card reader light is illuminated when the car is trying to access it. Hmm...

Or just Coincidence. It is equally likely your sandisk developed memory errors. Try full reformat on a laptop or desktop. If possible, check for memory errors on the drive. Some reformatting tools can write bad memory tables and the card would then continue to work with a bit less memory.

Over the years I have replaced three or four usb memory cards. I have a portable SSD now.

Reactions: laservet
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’m wondering if an SSD Samsung T7 is still the way to go.
I’m in the market to purchase an SSD or SD card to upgrade the stock Tesla memory stick.

Any long term updates from those that have used both?

Or just Coincidence. It is equally likely your sandisk developed memory errors. Try full reformat on a laptop or desktop. If possible, check for memory errors on the drive. Some reformatting tools can write bad memory tables and the card would then continue to work with a bit less memory.

Over the years I have replaced three or four usb memory cards. I have a portable SSD now.
I have portable SSDs, too, love them. The 1 tb Sandisk card, which I had reformatted on two different desktops and one laptop to no avail, works fine in a DSLR. Maybe time to try it again in the Tesla, see if the intervening updates have made a difference.

Reactions: Thp3
If you use a microSD card or a USB thumb drive for Tesla Dashcam and Sentry Mode recordings it should be an Endurance type storage device for longest life and reliability. These are sold as PRO Endurance by Samsung and either High Endurance (long lasting) or Max Endurance (longest lasting) by Sandisk.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I am thinking the samsung bar plus usb shipped with tesla vehicles in 2021 (maybe earlier?) is a so called “endurance” . Samsung doesn’t have the word endurance in any usb drive products. But the features of the Samsung bar plus usb are similar to pro endurance microSD sold by Samsung. I looked at the product specs of the Samsung bar plus usb drive (which uses microSD memory according to specs) and compared to a Samsung endurance microSD you will see there is no mention of special tech in Samsung endurance microSD claiming it can perform more write operations. However it is touted that the pro endurance microSD is good for dashcam and monitoring applications but not why. Just below that wording on the pro endurance microSD product www page are the stats such as temperature proof, water proof, X-ray proof etc. guess what has the same stats? The Samsun bar plus usb shipped with our Tesla’s. So in short, buy a replacement when your Samsung bar plus usb which came with the car fails not before.

Samsung bar plus Usb which came with my model y (the darker color version appears in the www page too)

Samsung pro endurance microSD

Samsung BAR Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive (128GB) Specs: USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus 128GB Titan Gray Memory & Storage - MUF-128BE4/AM | Samsung US

Usage/Applications: PC, Notebook

Samsung PRO Endurance MicroSD Card (128GB) Specs: MicroSDXC PRO Endurance Memory Card w Adapter 128GB Memory & Storage - MB-MJ128GA/AM | Samsung US

Usage/Applications: Surveillance (IP/Home/Network) cam, Dash cam, Body cam, and other always-on applications.

Up to 43,800 hours of lasting performance for continuous video monitoring. Superior endurance backed by a 5-year limited manufacturer's warranty.

Samsung BAR Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive (128GB) Specs: USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus 128GB Titan Gray Memory & Storage - MUF-128BE4/AM | Samsung US

Usage/Applications: PC, Notebook

Samsung PRO Endurance MicroSD Card (128GB) Specs: MicroSDXC PRO Endurance Memory Card w Adapter 128GB Memory & Storage - MB-MJ128GA/AM | Samsung US

Usage/Applications: Surveillance (IP/Home/Network) cam, Dash cam, Body cam, and other always-on applications.

Up to 43,800 hours of lasting performance for continuous video monitoring. Superior endurance backed by a 5-year limited manufacturer's warranty.
The Tesla branded Samsung bar plus (which comes with tesla vehicle) also has 5 year warranty according to Samsung website. That being said, the back of tesla branded item says not covered under car warranty. So perhaps it is covered under Samsung warranty or no warranty. If my YSB fails before 5 years and if I care to try to get compensation , I’d get in touch with Samsung to see if device falls under their warranty. But not gonna research that now since I’m busy.

If my usb fails before 5 years and I can’t get compensation, I’d probably go the route of something advertised as being used in video monitoring applications, high data write counts, & if it can withstand high temperatures since model y interior can each 137 Fahrenheit in my area of California.

It is u retesting that tesla’s branded version of Samsung bar one usb is $45 and Samsung sells it for around $22.

Last edited:
I decided to retry TeslaUSB in the Y while I wait for Pi Zero 2 W stock to replenish. When I used an SSD, or SanDisk High Endurance microSD card, reviewing Sentry events took a good 45-60 second wait for recordings to load. During this time I usually put on my seatbelt, sunglasses, used hand sanitizer, etc. Now that the microSD card is in the Pi Zero I noticed the Sentry recordings appear almost instantly and are playable almost right away. Maybe it’s because the card is freshly formatted with few recordings on it but I don’t recall the fresh SSD or microSD (outside the Pi) loading up quite as fast.

I don’t expect the Pi to add any processing power other than presenting the microSD as a storage device but dashcam recordings sure are quicker to load.