Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung USB 3.1 Flash Drive FIT Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can this usb be used for the dash cam in a 2020 Model S and the 2019 Model 3? I am having a re-format issue with the pure Tesla combo in my Model 3...it is not recognized but works I just cannot reformat using the button on the screen

I ordered this USB drive from Amazon: Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT 256GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive.
Opened the package, plugged it into the car USB, hit format (which probably was unnecessary). Works just fine. sounds like you are looking at the same one. I am in a 2017 S with MCU2 and HW3 upgrades. Note, the default format for this USB (the one it comes with) is compatible with the car's software, so you do not need to reformat, but you do need to be on 2020.12 or later to use a drive formatted in exFAT. The Samsung I bought came formatted in exFAT, so that is why I don't think I had to hit the Format button when I plugged it in. Hope this helps.

I will say this - the last software update I took (2020.40.3) messed up my USB flash drive. I attempted to reformat via the car's menu and it didn't work. Drive was working fine prior to the software update and I noticed it was not recognized after the update completed.

I wound up reformatting the drive on a computer and now it's working again.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
yes, thats looks like what happened to my wifes M3.....always worked fine, new software would not reformat the drive because it would not recognize it for reformatting....I put the M3 drive into my MS and it showed the M3 and it was working and I reformatted it using the car....I put a new 128g drive in the M3....now I had a 256g Samsung and will use it in the MS.....so it seems that the new software in the M3 screws up the dash cam drive usb

I will say this - the last software update I took (2020.40.3) messed up my USB flash drive. I attempted to reformat via the car's menu and it didn't work. Drive was working fine prior to the software update and I noticed it was not recognized after the update completed.

I wound up reformatting the drive on a computer and now it's working again.
Same here

Same here

Same here as well. Very frustrating. I could it the drive working just fine on my PC. Nothing in my car and wouldn't format it too.

I don't actually need any videos so I'll just reformat but updates shouldn't cause this issue. Having to go to the car to remove the drive before updating negates any benefits of the app updating.

On a side note I do use this and its been working fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPG9YX9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only mention this because I have always had problems with those super tiny thumb drives. They die much quicker (in my experience) compared to full size ones. I believe it to be a heat issue.
They make drives that are made heat resistant, cold resistant, shock resistant, and are designed to be used over and over again in a dashcam environment. I have one. It is new, but it works great and has a 15 year warranty.
https://shop.westerndigital.com/pro...ax-endurance-uhs-i-microsd#SDSQQVR-256G-AN6IA

I put it in this adapter: https://shop.westerndigital.com/pro...usb-3-0-microsd-reader-writer#SDDR-B531-AN6NN