Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Antonio Service Center - HWPC Charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I'm headed down to that area this week and needing to pick up some miles while playing a round of golf at La Cantera. La Cantera has a charger but they charge a hefty valet fee and the latest PlugShare check in says he was rejected because he wasn't staying as a guest of the resort. So my first option is the HPWC at the SA Service Center just a couple of miles up the road.

Plugshare says the hours are 10-6, but I'm trying to find out if they shut the gates at 6 or is the parking lot still accessible? I may be able to make it back before 6 but not 100% and can't chance getting locked in. I tried to call Tesla and speak to someone there, but of course it gets routed to California and all they can tell me is "These are not officially public chargers so...." and he wouldn't even answer my question as to whether or not they shut off the parking lot at 6.

Anyone else know first hand if they do? I'll be short on time when arriving and probably won't have the chance to go by there first and then to La Cantera if it doesn't work out. Thanks!

Last time I needed extra charge for driving around San Antonio I detoured to the San Marcos Supercharger on the way there. Only added 9 miles to the trip from Houston, so was not a major inconvenience. If you're coming in on 35 then you're already going past San Marcos.

Last time I needed extra charge for driving around San Antonio I detoured to the San Marcos Supercharger on the way there. Only added 9 miles to the trip from Houston, so was not a major inconvenience. If you're coming in on 35 then you're already going past San Marcos.

I am coming down 35 and plan on grabbing as much as I can at the San Marcos SC while I'm there. However, after my golf round I'm headed up to stay at some family's for a few days with no charging readily available, then I'm headed home on Sunday and would prefer not to have to backtrack to San Marcos. I'll have some plan B's and C's, but the Tesla Service Center would be perfect.

I never tried, but they told me when I picked up my car, gates open 24/7. Just give them a call if you're in doubt.

Thank for that. I guess that alone is worth trying to hustle there and asking them inside about the gates.

I did try to call, and California wouldn't give me any answers because they were technically not public chargers and only for service center use "officially".

stay at some family's for a few days with no charging readily available

Not even an 120 outlet? The trip we diverted to San Marcos we drove around San Antonio during the day, then stayed with family in Bandera for Xmas. Plugged into an outdoor 120, and even with driving around during our stay in Bandera we were at 90% by the time we left a few days later. Granted the S won't recover as much range as the 3, but it might be enough.

I'd also contact La Cantera, seems that if you are golfing then you'd be considered a guest (it's possible the Model 3 owner wasn't golfing). And the $8 day fee isn't what I'd consider a hefty price for peace of mind.

I believe the SC charging points are available at all times. I have been there a couple of times when the SC was closed and the entrance gate was open with owners charging.

Be aware there is not much within easy walking distance. Also, they do leave the loaners there and plugged in, but there are plenty of spots.

During business hours the Nissan dealership has the areas only CHAdeMO charger if you have the adapter. I like to go to the Palladium theater and charge while watching a movie, but that is a pretty slow charge. And not free.