Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Antonio Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated: Wednesday, January 28 2015, 08:44 PM CST SAN ANTONIO - Tesla is one step closer to installing a gallery in San Antonio to showcase their high performance electric sports cars. On Wednesday, the Planning Commission approved the re-zoning of about five acres on the city’s North Side. The property is located east of Hwy. 281, north of Loop 1604, and south of East Sonterra. But because the cars cannot be purchased in Texas, consumers will only be able to look at and touch the cars; not test-drive them. The motion will go before the Zoning Committee on Tuesday, who will then give their recommendation to the City Council. This comes just months after Tesla decided to build a $5 billion Tesla battery plant in Reno instead of San Antonio.

Read More at: http://news4sanantonio.com//news/fe...0.shtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Zoning Commission agenda from February 3rd.
The address is 2106 East Sonterra Blvd.
Zoning case Z2015077
Looks like it's just to the east of the Best Buy on 1604. Should be easy to get to.
The only concern appears to be that the site is within the Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone. So it's a good thing Teslas don't require oil changes. I presume the service centers do work on brakes, air conditioning, and battery coolant? So the appropriate precautions will have to be taken.
The minutes from that meeting aren't posted yet but it looks like everything is on track so far.

(edit) minutes aren't posted yet. agenda linked above.

With the zoning change completed for the San Antonio Service Center we can begin the process of watching for it's construction and launch! I went by the location last Thursday (3/12/15) and drove around the building. I could see no visible sign that any work or activity had started but I did see 2 items that were of interest:

1) The structure is multi-level and I had not noticed that from the Google map or street view! In the back of the building it has an additional lower level which could be really nice for the service center.
2) I did see a pretty large stack of 12' sheetrock ready for construction in the back on the first floor so it's possible that some activity could begin soon.

Finally, I'm really hoping that this new Service Center Plus location in San Antonio follows some of more recent Service Center + Stores which have opened around the world which include a SuperCharger!! Time will tell but that would be a great addition...

Interesting...

Capture.JPG

https://webapps1.sanantonio.gov/dsddocumentcentral/upload/February32015.pdf

That is interesting...I guess that means that they will have to retain the storage facility they're using today (in San Antonio) if they need to hold more than 3 packs in the area...?
I wonder if this is a safety thing. Since the building was originally built as retail space and I don't think Tesla is going to take the whole thing.

As far as the multi-level nature of the building - I spoke briefly to Ronald Le a few weeks ago; Ronald has the title of General Manager for Greater San Antonio. If I understood his description correctly, Service will be on the lower level and the retail storefront (just accessories?) will be on the upper level.

I, too, have been driving around the building once every few weeks and will report here as soon as I see something resembling construction. I imagine the lower level will require significant reconfiguration to become the Service Department.

That is interesting...I guess that means that they will have to retain the storage facility they're using today (in San Antonio) if they need to hold more than 3 packs in the area...?

I read this as, literally, 3 automotive batteries, as in standard lead-acid batteries. This is considered a sensitive environmental area and auto repair shops in the past have stored junk car batteries on-site waiting for disposal, only to go out of business and abandon them.

I don't think this is something Tesla-specific, but something they stipulate for anything listed as auto repair.

I went by again tonight (4/8) to see if there was any activity at the Service Center site. I only noticed one change, the stack of Sheetrock that was on the floor on the lower level of the building was gone. I believe it had been installed on about half of the walls on the lower level. I'm hoping that is the beginning of the Service Center build out...

I was in the area today and tried unsuccessfully to locate this facility construction. I did see a multi level complex east of the Bestbuy complex that may have been it. It had signs from some kind of flooring store. Is that the location that is slated for the Service Center Plus site?
the address just seemed to get me in the general location.

I was in the area today and tried unsuccessfully to locate this facility construction. I did see a multi level complex east of the Bestbuy complex that may have been it. It had signs from some kind of flooring store. Is that the location that is slated for the Service Center Plus site?
the address just seemed to get me in the general location.
Doug, you were probably in the right place. I drove around the building yesterday myself and I didn't see any signs of recent activity.

Stopped by yesterday (2 May) and took some pictures of the space.

This is inside on the lower level. It's quite a bit longer than the picture shows (see below).
IMG_3622.JPG

This is outside on the lower level, and it appears that this entire level will be the service center.
IMG_3623.JPG

This is inside on the top level (opposite side of building)
IMG_3624.JPG

and this is outside of the top level that will most likely be the gallery. All visible windows are part of the same space.
IMG_3625.JPG

Thanks for the update. Doesn't look any different than it did when I swung by a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to wonder if some of the local auto dealers are leaning on the city planning department.