Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Antonio to Amarillo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Has anyone made the trek and if so, how did things work out? We have a 2022 Tesla Model 3 (standard range) and are considering using it for our next trip from San Antonio to Amarillo. Mapping it out shows we would use the Superchargers at:
1. Junction, TX
2. Sweetwater, TX, and
3. Childress, TX

Going through Lubbock, even though the newly opened Lubbock Supercharger is in the SW corner of the city and is therefore out of the way of your route by a bit, would be faster. The Lubbock location isn't in the car's navigation system yet, so if you used the car to navigate that's why it didn't take you that way automatically. But it's on Tesla's web map of supercharger locations and there are multiple reports of people successfully using it in the relevant thread discussing the Lubbock location on this forum.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hello. Has anyone made the trek and if so, how did things work out? We have a 2022 Tesla Model 3 (standard range) and are considering using it for our next trip from San Antonio to Amarillo. Mapping it out shows we would use the Superchargers at:
1. Junction, TX
2. Sweetwater, TX, and
3. Childress, TX
I have a Standard Range Plus and have not had any troubles on 500+ mile trips. Just follow the charging stops on the navigation and set your trip charging to the high settings for the final run into town so you have plenty of juice to drive around. But with a Supercharger in Amarillo that should not be a problem.

I have a Standard Range Plus and have not had any troubles on 500+ mile trips. Just follow the charging stops on the navigation and set your trip charging to the high settings for the final run into town so you have plenty of juice to drive around. But with a Supercharger in Amarillo that should not be a problem.
So on the final supercharging stop set the charge limit to 90+ %?

So on the final supercharging stop set the charge limit to 90+ %?
Yes - that way you don't limp into town late in the day with low battery. That's no fun. Also its a must when you might be staying overnight in a town with no supercharger like Beeville, TX

Another trick is to "cancel" the trip before charging - it fools the computer into removing the charging limit (computer wants to minimize charging time) so you can get a fuller charge. Then just reset the navigation afterwards.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
Yes - that way you don't limp into town late in the day with low battery. That's no fun. Also its a must when you might be staying overnight in a town with no supercharger like Beeville, TX

Another trick is to "cancel" the trip before charging - it fools the computer into removing the charging limit (computer wants to minimize charging time) so you can get a fuller charge. Then just reset the navigation afterwards.
Thank you for this tip!!

Fortunately the trip we are planning has us going down I-35 out of DFW and just west of Austin. I have a Level 2 charger at home so I will be sure to charge it to 100% before we leave out. There's a Supercharger about 20 miles from where we are staying that I may utilize just in case the place we are staying doesn't have an outside outlet I can use. My concern for this trip will be the stretch between Waco and Round Rock as there aren't any Superchargers in between, and I'm curious how much going 75 MPH will affect the range, especially going into the wind. My SR+ hasn't gotten the 2022.16 update yet. When I plug the address into the navigation of where we will be going, it has us stopping first in Abbott and then again in Round Rock, but nothing after that.

Last edited:
Thank you for this tip!!

Fortunately the trip we are planning has us going down I-35 out of DFW and just west of Austin. I have a Level 2 charger at home so I will be sure to charge it to 100% before we leave out. There's a Supercharger about 20 miles from where we are staying that I may utilize just in case the place we are staying doesn't have an outside outlet I can use. My concern for this trip will be the stretch between Waco and Round Rock as there aren't any Superchargers in between, and I'm curious how much going 75 MPH will affect the range, especially going into the wind. My SR+ hasn't gotten the 2022.16 update yet. When I plug the address into the navigation of where we will be going, it has us stopping first in Abbott and then again in Round Rock, but nothing after that.
You should have no problems at all between Waco and Round Rock distance-wise. There is a lot of construction around the Waco Supercharger now and it can get nearly full on the weekend so if you can avoid a rush hour or weekend there, it might be a lower stress situation both ways. The Abbott Supercharger is right on the highway and I think would be MUST easier to use. Plus it is a 250Kw charger! ++

Reactions: ElectricNerd
You can use the supercharger at the Lubbock Service center now. It's 4 stalls @ 250kW. It may or may not be on your maps yet, seems inconsistent from reports I've seeing. If not, just navigate to the Service Center address @ 6544 82nd St, Lubbock, TX 79424

There will be a larger Supercharger on US-84 going into the Lubbock near the loop on the south east side of the city but it's not in yet (Host site will be a Toot 'n Totum travel center not yet under construction). The service center a a little bit of a detour off of US-84/I-27 but it's not bad and may still be faster then going up US-287 from DFW depending on your origin.

Navigation never imposes a charge limit. It has a countdown that shows when you have enough charge to continue your trip, but it will happily keep charging after you've reached that point, then display a countdown to your charge limit. The only time an arbitrary charge limit is imposed is at designated high usage stations, and that limit is imposed regardless of whether or not you're actively navigating. You can increase the 80% "high usage" limit after you start charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H