Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Antonio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading in another thread about the laws about dealerships I realize how important the owners are for Tesla. In case any of you don't know what I'm talking about, there is a Texas State law that says that motor vehicle manufacturers cannot have dealerships in Texas!!! Tesla is screwed until the law changes or they sign up independent dealerships.

Independent dealerships add 30% to the cost of a car on average, provide zero value, and a horrible purchase experience. Tesla will never do that. It's more important to write to your state representative and ask for an amendment to the existing laws that permit a U.S. manufacturer that has no dealers to be allowed to sell directly. There are some threads on this in this section.

In case anyone is interested, it would be great if you brought your Teslas. There will be over 100 environment oriented people there:
The Green Spaces Alliance Spring Picnic
Saturday, March 23, 2012
3:00pm - 6:00pm
7 Willow Way, San Antonio, TX 78214
88.jpg
The Early Bird Gets the Best Deal...
Members: $20 NOW: $16
Non-Members:$35 NOW: $28
Kids 8-12: $5 NOW: $4
You're invited to spend the afternoon with fellow friends of Green Spaces Alliance at Willow Way, the historic former residence of Wanda & O'Neil Ford, restored by James Lifshutz. The picnic will
feature good food, music, beer, and company. Don't miss out on our garden-themed sporting competitions, too: potato sack races, cucumber pass, timber walk, holey bucket races, and more!

James Lifshutz

For anyone looking to have more extensive paint armor done, I've found a mobile installer of the 3M VentureShield film which I think is the same product Tesla uses (I'm trying to confirm that).

I'll report back on how the install goes but am looking to have the entire hood done.

Pinnacle Customs - Automotive Protection & Design
11844 Banera Road, #149
Helotes TX 78023
(210) 602-9597

On a vehicle as nice as this Venture shield is not a very good product compared to Xpel or SunTek paint protection film.

- - - Updated - - -

There is one more Model S cruising around San Antonio as of last weekend!
View attachment 17312
Looking good Phil!

A meet-up before the picnic on 03/23 sounds good to me.

Below are some updated pictures of my car after tinting the windows and having some paint protection applied. I used Jay's Detail by the airport (Jay's Detail | San Antonio's Premier Auto Detailer) and he did an excellent job. I did not order paint armor from Tesla so Jay did a full polish/clay bar and then applied Opti-Coat Pro on all painted surfaces and glass; it looks amazing in the bright sun and comes with a lifetime warranty. He can also do the Xpel film but I feel ok with just the Opti-Coat for the main body (he did apply some film to the lights for extra protection there). The tint is 25% SunTek Carbon XP all the way around. He did all that in one day for about the cost of the factory paint armor and I am very happy with the results.
2013-03-10 12.31.32.jpg
2013-03-10 12.31.44.jpg
2013-03-10 12.32.03.jpg

I went with the Opti-Coat because it seems to have a better durability reputation on auto-detailing forums over Cquartz. I was also heartened by the ongoing results from artsci's "Car Care: Controlled Experiment" (I don't know how to link to that thread but look under Model S - Interior/Exterior section of this forum). I haven't had to wash the car yet as the coating was applied just last week, but I expect it to make the whole upkeep process much easier - just soap it up and rinse it down.
(PS - I sent you a PM with my cost, but I'm sure Jay would gladly give you an estimate if you stop by.)

We're going to the Pearl Farmer's Market tomorrow, I'll check with the organizers and see if we can get a cool spot to park next weekend where we can essentially be a 'booth' fro 9-12 then go have a lunch. Report back tomorrow.

cattledog out.

Went to Pearl yesterday, there was a Triumph Spitfire group displaying about 10 cars halfway between Farmer's Market and La Gloria. They gave me all the info, I'll call Monday morning to see if we can do the same.

BTW - parked the Model S next to them, they were cool and coned off a spot for me. However, once the S was there, Spitfire show was essentially over - 2/3 of onlookers were over at my Model S. My wife did a good job of sharing, and once I finished talking with Spitfire folks we left, felt like we were stealing their thunder.

Check back in tomorrow and if it's a go we'll figure out how to organize.

UPDATE

I spoke with the right person at Pearl yesterday, they are getting back to me today about whether we can cone off a few spaces this Saturday. They would put us in their newsletter, and on its own the Farmer's Market draws lots of folks, so we could do some serious EVangelizing if they give us a spot AND a few of us show up.

As soon as I hear today I'll alert everyone.