Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Antonio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I'm new to this forum. I'm finalizing my Model S configuration and I need to flush out some things before I place my order. I am hoping I can get some thoughts from current Tesla owners in San Antonio.
I have decided to get a Model S 85kwh, Silver or Pearl white, Pano roof, Grey performance seats, Obeche wood matte trim,Tech package, Parking sensors, Premium interior lighting, Rear facing seats, and 19" tires.
I couldn't decide whether to get:

1. Ultra High fidelity sound - This option is pretty expensive and I'm not sure if I want it. I have listened to the premium option you have at your gallery in Austin and it's pretty good but I'm not sure how the "Standard" sounds like. I like listening to music but I am not an audiophile with descriminating tastes. Maybe the standard is good enough for me. I can live without XM.

2. Twin Chargers - I work at the Medical Center area and live about 15-20 minutes away. Less without traffic. I would go to donwtown area from time to time maybe once a week. I am not getting the HPWC since I can comfortably get a full charge overnight for my needs. I do have trips to Houston and Austin once a month. I may want to drive more once I get this car. So I'm thinking for the trips, I may benefit from getting a Twin Charger. I do not know if there are any high-power >40amps charging stations in SA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome! There are aftermarket options if you get the standard and don't like it but they are expensive as well. Haven't heard standard before. There is a thread on that somewhere in the Model S section.

The twin chargers are nice to have even if you rarely use them. You can charge at 80A at the HPWC at the stores and service centers and maybe some day there will be a network of faster level 2 chargers set up along less travels paths. You already get Supercharging in the 85kWh so that is separate from the twin chargers anyway. See if Tesla will let you order the twin charger + HPWC and then return the HPWC for a refund. Most don't need a HPWC or even twin chargers for home. Having twin chargers is also less important now with the Superchargers being built out.

Owners in Washington state are creating a self funded 70A level two network on routes not served by Superchargers. Maybe that will happen in Texas one day but no current plans that I know of.

2. Twin Chargers - I work at the Medical Center area and live about 15-20 minutes away. Less without traffic. I would go to donwtown area from time to time maybe once a week. I am not getting the HPWC since I can comfortably get a full charge overnight for my needs. I do have trips to Houston and Austin once a month. I may want to drive more once I get this car. So I'm thinking for the trips, I may benefit from getting a Twin Charger. I do not know if there are any high-power >40amps charging stations in SA.

I am a strong proponent of Twin Chargers. Unfortunately, they are bundled with the HPWC. I have heard that Tesla will buy back the HPWC, or do one-off unbundle deals.

As long as all you are doing is overnight charging and Superchargers, you don't need twin chargers. However, there are several locations with HPWC's or higher powered J1772's. All it takes is a few road trips where you can halve your charging time to justify the twin chargers.

You can get to Austin and back easily in a 85 without charging (I have done it in a 60), but if you wanted to charge there is the Supercharger in San Marcos. For trips to Houston the Supercharger in Columbus will be live before you get your car. There are no public chargers >40A in Texas that I am aware of. It's unlikely you would ever use twin chargers unless using a HPWC at a service center or gallery.

Welcome (from a Austin owner).

The upgraded stereo is a big NO! Do not waste your money, as it's not worth it.

As for twin chargers, based upon your needs I would say no. But it just comes down to if you feel you need quicker charges due to being on call, etc.

Thank you all!

@dsm363 & cottonwood - I did not now it has to bundled. Thanks for the info. That makes it less desirable for me. I will check with Tesla if they will allow a refund for the HPWC.

@TexasEV - Good to know that you are able to drive to Austin and back on a 60kwh. During my testdrive in Austin, I spoke with the Regional Manager of Tesla and he said the Columbus Supercharger will be opened by Oct. 9, 2013. Indeed, Tesla owners in SA are fortunate. We have superchargers connecting us to major cities in Texas.

@Texex91 - Point taken. thanks. It's a shame that such an expensive upgrade would have such unflattering reviews as I've read in these forums. Some do swear by them. But I would like to think that if I spend money on something, it better be really good.

All,

Anyone have a 'latest knowledge' on San Antonio Riverwalk hotels with charging?
I'm headed there in two weeks and would be happy to change to a 'charging friendly' hotel.

Thoughts?
David Smith

Hey David

Don't know how much driving you are doing in SA, but if you juice up in San Marcos, you should be good until you come back through SM (assuming you're not driving a ton in SA, which if you're at the Riverwalk, probably not). Just a thought. There was a thread somewhere that the Marriott had issues with their plugs and not to use--but may have changed now.

Hey David

Don't know how much driving you are doing in SA, but if you juice up in San Marcos, you should be good until you come back through SM (assuming you're not driving a ton in SA, which if you're at the Riverwalk, probably not). Just a thought. There was a thread somewhere that the Marriott had issues with their plugs and not to use--but may have changed now.

Also, remember that even the lowly 5-15, 120V/12A, 3-prong outlet will give you 75 miles per day, 25 miles per 8 hours, etc. If you are not doing much driving, that can add up, or at least keep you from going down too fast. That is an awful charge rate if you are trying to get somewhere, but if you are at a hotel for a few days, the miles add up.

Tesla say not to use an extension cord, but that is to cover them in case people using dinky cords. I keep a 50', 12 gauge cord in my car when traveling, and it works great to reach that duplex outlet several spaces away! Many 15A circuits only have #14 romex in the wall, anyway.

I'm taking a trip to San Antonio from Houston. Unfortunately the Hyatt Hill Country where we'll be staying doesn't have any charging options. Any suggestions on any free charging locations (40A+)in the city, as m trying to avoid supercharging in San Marcos before I get in?