Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Area Superchargers (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think this IS a destination charger.
San Diego isn't en route to any destination (unless your destination is Mexico)

That would be great for me, I go PHX - Ensenada all the time and there's no place down there to charge. Ensenada could be a round trip from SD otherwise. There is a Chademo at the San Ysidro outlets, but no adapter yet?

Even when we stay in SD (love the ocean), it would be nice to supercharge there rather than plug in over night somewhere down the road and ride the Brompton.

Of course we'll need to take delivery of the MS first. Delivery was tomorrow but we got bumped a week, Boo-hoo!

Driving to Ensenada sounds like a great trip. There was some issue in an older thread about the warranty being voided if driven into Mexico, does anyone have an update on that?

I asked this question. Warranty is not voided for occasional travel in Mexico. There is no warranty coverage in Mexico. Warranty will not be honored for cars garaged there I was told.

I agree. Besides most Supercharger are located near outlet malls. Fashion Valley mall doesn't fit the profile. I'm thinking Carlsbad Premium Outlet Mall (near Lego Land) or Encinitas EV project. Viejas Outlet mall would be a long shot IMO. Outlet Mall near Tijuana border is a super long shot.

Fashion Valley is also a parking nightmare, so if I were the betting type I'd take you up on it. Given that I'm not, I'll just say I hope they're considering the ICEing potential of any spot before building.

Supercharger - San Diego, CA

My guess is Del Mar Heights East of the I-5. Nice shops, restaurants, and close to Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, and LaJolla where most Tesla owners live in SD. Also close to the Fairgrounds.

I would prefer Carlsbad Outlets because I live closer to that area but Del Mar Heights would work well for more San Diegans.

Parking is a problem at Del Mar Highlands, especially on weekends.

I would prefer Carlsbad Outlets because I live closer to that area but Del Mar Heights would work well for more San Diegans.

The Carlsbad Outlets are only 35 miles from the San Juan Capistrano supercharger and the Highlands are only 13 miles from there, so it's pretty much a no-brainer that the SD supercharger will be nowhere near either of them.

Meanwhile, it's 170 miles from Yuma, AZ to Mission Valley. It's also about 170 miles to Barstow from there.

While most of us owners seem to be clustered near the coast, it's more likely they would be looking for somewhere near the I-8 and I-15 junction to top off the thirsty batteries coming from Vegas and Arizona that had to climb a lot of elevation since their last charge.

Due to the lack of news and progress on this location, I emailed TESLA to ask them about the location and timing of the San Diego location. They basically responded that they do not like to make comments before the location is finalized.

That means coming soon may be like the San Juam Capistrano Supercharger. They have not finalized the location, so they can have no permits, easements, power, etc. So I am afriad that coming soon is no sooner than August. :(

I hope that I am wrong!

Due to the lack of news and progress on this location, I emailed TESLA to ask them about the location and timing of the San Diego location. They basically responded that they do not like to make comments before the location is finalized.

That means coming soon may be like the San Juam Capistrano Supercharger. They have not finalized the location, so they can have no permits, easements, power, etc. So I am afriad that coming soon is no sooner than August. :(

I hope that I am wrong!

The SJC location was finalized at least 6 months ago (based on the permit application date). I would look at SJC as a worst case example.

The Carlsbad Outlets are only 35 miles from the San Juan Capistrano supercharger and the Highlands are only 13 miles from there, so it's pretty much a no-brainer that the SD supercharger will be nowhere near either of them.

Meanwhile, it's 170 miles from Yuma, AZ to Mission Valley. It's also about 170 miles to Barstow from there.

While most of us owners seem to be clustered near the coast, it's more likely they would be looking for somewhere near the I-8 and I-15 junction to top off the thirsty batteries coming from Vegas and Arizona that had to climb a lot of elevation since their last charge.
Yeah. As much as I'd love to see one in Del Mar for me to top off once a week on the way to or from work (I live in South Carlsbad and work up in the Torrey Pines area), those locations you suggest make a lot more sense.

The SJC location was finalized at least 6 months ago (based on the permit application date). I would look at SJC as a worst case example.

And if the dates on the pictures are correct, Macon, GA may be the best case. See Supercharger - Macon, GA.

In about 2.5 weeks, they have gone from nothing (an empty parking lot), to most of the equipment (including transformer) in place; at this rate Macon may be on the air in another week!

An under 4 week install would be amazing and perhaps a new record!!! :biggrin:

And if the dates on the pictures are correct, Macon, GA may be the best case. See Supercharger - Macon, GA.

In about 2.5 weeks, they have gone from nothing (an empty parking lot), to most of the equipment (including transformer) in place; at this rate Macon may be on the air in another week!

An under 4 week install would be amazing and perhaps a new record!!! :biggrin:

Last June the Atascadero supercharger went from empty parking lot (and nobody on the forum even aware one was going to be installed there) to functional in under 3 weeks.

I wonder if they'll just build the SD Supercharger station at the same location as the service center.

Not very likely. The company likes to put Superchargers within walking distance of shopping and places to eat. The San Diego Service Center is in a purely office and industrial area with no nearby amenities except, perhaps, the usual office-park sandwich shop or two.

The Sacramento area illustrates the practice; the company could have put an I-80 Supercharger at the Rocklin Service Center, which has lots of room. It has little in the way of shopping or eats within walking distance, though. Instead, the Supercharger went in a few miles away at the Roseville Galleria, a high-end (for Sacramento) regional mall with lots of places to eat.

Not very likely. The company likes to put Superchargers within walking distance of shopping and places to eat. The San Diego Service Center is in a purely office and industrial area with no nearby amenities except, perhaps, the usual office-park sandwich shop or two.

The Sacramento area illustrates the practice; the company could have put an I-80 Supercharger at the Rocklin Service Center, which has lots of room. It has little in the way of shopping or eats within walking distance, though. Instead, the Supercharger went in a few miles away at the Roseville Galleria, a high-end (for Sacramento) regional mall with lots of places to eat.

That's true. I guess Hawthorne is a bit of an anomaly with no restaurants or shopping.