Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Area Superchargers (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, Carlsbad Outlet mall is far worse than Mission Valley Center. There is a 100% chance of ICEing there during the entire month of December.

I've literally driven around the entire mall parking lot for over 20 minutes at the Carlsbad Outlet and not found a single parking spot. At Mission Valley you can usually find something somewhere.
Yeah, the Carlsbad outlet mall is pretty bad, even on a normal weekend. There's already set of eVgo chargers there, and I have observed them to be ICE'd pretty regularly.

During the holidays I don't go anywhere near that place.

Encinitas is supposed to have an electric charging stations at an old gas station. But I'm not so sure if it has other amenities Tesla wants. Mission Valley is very central but it's very crowded. Have ever tried to exit Fashion Valley Mall or Mission Valley Center during the holidays? It's crazy.

The Encinitas charging plaza is on track. It is quite literally one block from "Main Street" and across the street from the train station. There is plenty to eat, see and do. The beach is only a couple blocks away.

While this site will likely include a Tesla Supercharger, it won't be part of the Tesla "free" network.

The Encinitas charging plaza is on track. It is quite literally one block from "Main Street" and across the street from the train station. There is plenty to eat, see and do. The beach is only a couple blocks away.

While this site will likely include a Tesla Supercharger, it won't be part of the Tesla "free" network.

Really? I didn't think Tesla was going to allow/sell pay-for-charge Superchargers.

You have to earn it to be called a "supercharger". Until they win a Superbowl, they will be just level 2 charger.

Carlsbad Outlet Mall, Fashion Valley and Horton Plaza are not optimal locations, all too congested. Del Mar Heights and Carmel Valley also are not optimal due to land costs. I understand that on Aug 28 the San Diego Superchargers are opening in Mission Valley (I-8 and I-15) walking distance to the Costco shopping center.

San Diego Superchargers - YouTube

It sure seems that the DOt for San Diego should be and should have been classifed as 2014, not coming soon. With no identified location, no permits and no easements or contracts, it will be shocking if this is open before Thanksgiving. Also, remember that it was SDG&E that was the power company on the SJC site. Interesting to note, SCE night time charge rates are 10-11 cents KW, (depending upon winter or summer), while SDG&E is 19 cents KW. Shocking 80-90% increase.......

It sure seems that the DOt for San Diego should be and should have been classifed as 2014, not coming soon. With no identified location, no permits and no easements or contracts, it will be shocking if this is open before Thanksgiving. Also, remember that it was SDG&E that was the power company on the SJC site. Interesting to note, SCE night time charge rates are 10-11 cents KW, (depending upon winter or summer), while SDG&E is 19 cents KW. Shocking 80-90% increase.......

When it comes to Tesla and schedules, they are almost always overly optimistic, often by an enormous margin. (See center console and CHAdeMO adapter, for instances.)

And you know that how?

Tesla Superchargers are free to Tesla owners who have Supercharger-enabled cars. That is not going to change anytime soon, if ever, according to Elon. I take him at his word.

You won't be forced to use a non-Tesla supplied Supercharger, nor will Elon, or Tesla, be charging you money for that privilege should you avail yourself to such a charger. So, Elon is right.

How I know is a little birdie told me.

Supercharger - San Diego, CA

Okay, so let's try to clarify this: the "charging plaza" you refer to is a private commercial operation that will offer, for a fee, various types of EV charging and the company operating it purchased a Supercharger from Tesla and is installing it and it will be available for a fee?

I take it you are referring to the proposed EVoasis facility referenced in this April 2013 article:

Ambitious EV charging plaza picks up speed | The Coast News

I cannot find any more recent articles.

Last edited:
Okay, so let's try to clarify this: the "charging plaza" you refer to is a private commercial operation that will offer, for a fee, various types of EV charging and the company operating it purchased a Supercharger from Tesla and is installing it and it will be available for a fee?

It will be interesting to see how they brand this. It was always likely that such stations would come into existance (if Tesla refused to sell one, you could in theory create a supercharger-equivalent by permanently attaching a CHAdeMO adapter to a high-powered CHAdeMO station), but I envisaged that Tesla would restrict the 'SuperCharger' branding to their own stations.

I regard the availability of supercharging-for-a-fee as a positive thing, but there's obviously sensitivity around how you describe it to avoid conflict with Tesla's "free forever" marketing claim.

Are you saying you want them in mission bay?

Yes, the problem Tesla is having is locating a landlord/location that works. So i was thinking, the government has already allowed a half dozen EV charging stations in the public mission bay parking spot. that means they have the electricity and the spots.....Randy would know, he's the SDG&E guy, and I think they have to go through him to get the juice. It is convenient to the 8 and the 5, as it is just west of Sea World on West Mission Bay Blvd.