TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

San Diego electricians to install Nema 14-50

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Eye-O-Matic, Nov 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Eye-O-Matic

Eye-O-Matic New Member

I just got 2 bids to install a simple 14-50 240 and a std household outlet next to it. It is not more than 20 feet from my box to the location near my car. Two bids, one from Premo electric and the other from Green Electric. Both came in around $1,800-$2,000. This is ridiculous. Please, can someone from San Diego recommend an electrician that is not ripping people off. It is exactly 19ft from the breaker box to where I need the new outlet. This job should not be more than $300. $500 max.

Thanks in advance

• Like x 1
  2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Mine cost $600 for a 40 foot run including the permit but it was just for one 14-50 outlet. I used one of the "Tesla recommended/certified" electricians from their site. If yours is also a Tesla installer you should email Tesla and let them know if you think it is too high.

3. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

I used Premo and they charged around $500 for just a 14-50, part of which was a new 50amp breaker. Outlet is right next to the box. I've heard longer conduit runs can get expensive, but not that much.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

Not only that, he had two separate outlines and two runs because he wants the regular household outlet there too.

5. demundus

demundus Member

I paid 1500 for a 70 foot run and some trenching i couldnt do myself. Roper Electric did mine although he messed up my line rating, i can only charge at 32a instead of 40. Oh well.

6. bradhs

bradhs Member

I did it myself with the help of a neighbor for $250.

• Love x 1
  7. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Just bought all the parts for a 40' run for about $100. Should take less than two hours for the install. It's too easy of a job to not do it myself.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. bradhs

bradhs Member

40' run for $100?? I spent double that on parts and only ran half the distance. I used 1.25" conduit, 2ga wire for the load and 4ga for ground. Not sure what the new Tesla HPWC support but I went with larger ga cable to keep the heat down. (The posts in the old HPWC supports that size with no issue, not sure about the new HPWC.)

9. pchengMX

pchengMX Member

Premo Electric quoted me a similar price too and that was only for a NEMA 14-50. I got other quotes from electricians that were no more than 400. But then I asked them about the permits and they say they never heard of one needed for a NEMA 14-50 installations they have done....? I too is in need of a good electrician...

10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

If you drive less than 120 miles per day this is a great solution: DIY Tesla 240V Charging | Quick220 Review

I spent 3 thousand with installation and permitting (took weeks) for the install of my HPWC. If I had know about quick 220 earlier, I would have taken that route. I am in Irvine, CA

11. pchengMX

pchengMX Member

i just saw that and was wondering how that would be so I may have to look into that.

• Like x 1
  12. K-MTG

What is your daily commute?

13. spentan

spentan Active Member

I used Johnnie West Electric
    (858) 270-5564
    Johnnie West Electric
    18 years in business
    1633 Diamond St #28
    San Diego, CA 92109

and Calafata Construction and Electric (http://calafata.com/) for Charging Installations with my Chauffeurs in San Diego

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. pchengMX

pchengMX Member

i work only 3 days a week but my commute is about 65miles round trip.

15. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Several Tesla owners in San Diego have used "Ms. Sparky Electric" to install their charging circuits and had a good experience (and a reasonable price quote). Mary is the owner and can be reached at 760-942-7345. Tell her Randy from the local Tesla Facebook group sent you...And if you want to meet other local owners, you're welcome to join our Facebook group (San Diego Tesla Owners)...

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Why not run the wires yourself and just pay the electrician to connect to the breaker panel? It seems most of the cost is in running the wire and, while that's not always easy, it can save you a lot of money doing that part yourself. Connecting to the panel is very easy, but I understand many are not comfortable doing it. Just make sure you get the proper gauge wire.

17. K-MTG

If you can find someone under the $500 range for the 240V outlet go for it, or else the quick220 would also work for you which is $200.

• Like x 1
  18. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

That doesn't include the permit. I wasn't going to get one. I probably should though, for liability reasons. Maybe I can apply for the permit online. It was more about the hassle than than avoiding permit fees.

$85 40' 6-3 NM-B
    $15 2-pole 50 amp breaker
    $8 14-50 outlet
    $5 2 gang cut in box
    $3. Cover plate
    $3. Bag of 10 wholly tie wraps.

So about $120.

19. pchengMX

pchengMX Member

Thanks so much I will keep that in mind!

20. pchengMX

pchengMX Member

She does the permit and everything? I will try to contact her. I am actually on the San Diego group on Facebook. Thanks again I appreciate it.