Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Qualcomm Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to charge occasionally at the Qualcomm supercharger, and despite it showing a $0.31/kWh fee, I was never charged in my old LR Model 3 - the bill was always $0.00.

I just upgraded to a P3D this month (whoohoo!), and now when I go there I get charged the usual rate. I did NOT have free supercharging on my LR (other stations always charged me). Did something change here?

We charge our Model S P85D on SCE TOU-D-B and our son charges their Model 3 LR DM on SCE TOU-D-PRIME at home overnight since it's ~ 13¢/kWh... less than half the kWh rate at Tesla Superchargers. My guess is SDG&E is a little higher (~17¢/kWh?) but that's still almost half at Tesla Superchargers.

The location seems a little quieter than it used to be. I don't go here very often, but the last few times I've been (when I've had to pay), I did not have to wait in line. This was during the tail end of the lunch hour.

I do mostly charge at home that, thanks to my solar panels, results in a reasonable overall cost that is indeed much cheaper than supercharging in California. Without solar though, SDG&E is the most expensive utility provider in the continental US. They do have some EV plans, but you get hosed if you use any electricity between 4-9pm ($0.52/kWh!!). Unless you pay an extra monthly fee, even the super off-peak is $0.23/kWh. In short, SDG&E is horrible.

Reactions: Big Earl