Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego: SDG&E Rate Help for New MS85 Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks liuping. My bill with solar is higher between Nov-March too, and I don't have my MS yet. Just that solar production gets cut by nearly 50% in the winter.

Before I had solar, the situation was flipped - my winter bills were lower than my summer bills.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh. I can't find a "go to old dashboard" link on my screen...

Huh. I can't find a "go to old dashboard" link on my screen...
You may have to scroll down to see it:
bidgley3.JPG

I am net-metered as well, but that was a browser issue with Chrome (for me anyway). When I opened it in IE, it worked.
Thanks for the tip. IE works a bit better but it still generates a JavaScript error when the list of providers shows up and another if you try to click on a link.

Dumb. So Chrome doesn't load an iframe because it's loaded over http instead of https. If I manually open that iframe in a new tab pulling the link from the debugging console, then I can register (using Chrome).

Ah. I did not think about that. That's unfortunate. I find the old graphs more readable...

Hmm, after logging, they using this link: Bidgely

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, I just saw your update after I posted the link. Great minds...
That works. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Checked my current plan (DR) vs. TOU-2 for the last year. Lowered my average rate from 19 cents/kWh to 17 cents/kWh. Interesting, but not very compelling. Guess I'll have to see what happens after a few months of MS85 charging.

Still, I like the site. Thanks for the recommendation, liuping!

That works. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Checked my current plan (DR) vs. TOU-2 for the last year. Lowered my average rate from 19 cents/kWh to 17 cents/kWh. Interesting, but not very compelling. Guess I'll have to see what happens after a few months of MS85 charging.

Still, I like the site. Thanks for the recommendation, liuping!

The difference may be much larger when you add the Model S, since it will likely push you into Tier 3 pretty quickly. Then it will be $0.32 vs $0.16.

GoBlue,
The one thing you're missing that is worth factoring in...in the summer season, the on-peak solar power you're selling to the grid is credited at EV-TOU2 peak price (44 cents) and if you charge your car after midnight then you're billed at 16 cents. So you make that margin - almost 3 to 1....In the tiered rate scenario, the credit is 1 to 1.

Of course, this assumes that you're not making more power than you consume on an annual basis...Any production in excess of what you consume annually is paid at a wholesale rate...But in the meantime, you can really be racking it up on your PV system production on the EV-TOU2 rate...

@ RandyS - are you sure that's how it works for TOU? i am very curious myself. we have a system that produces more than we use, last month (April 2014) we were NEGATIVE -670kwh on our bill. this month will be about the same.

when they added up the "credit" on the net metering summary, they gave me the -670 on a tiered basis:

First 293 kwh @ $0.14
294-281 kwh @ $0.16
282-586 kwh @ $0.31
587-670 kwh @ $0.33

for a total "NEM Credit" of ($172.75) on my NEM Summary.

so are you saying that i would get approx 2x credit by going to TOU since i produce all my power during the day and then use it at night?

i guess i'll have to try liuping's suggestion and figure it out. but was wondering if you had a general opinion on this for someone who produces enough to cover the extra charging on the MS.

we've been online with solar since 11/30/13 so we only have about 6 months data so far to work with ... but it's been stellar so far. we previously used $400 a month prior to the Sept 2013 rate hikes. we'd easily be in the $500+/mo range after that. so we are excited to be looking at no more elec bills!

Wow, that is sweet. I guess an 11.76 kW system will get that for you.

My my house has a multi-peak roof instead of a big flat section of roof. What you get in aesthetic appeal you lose in the ability to put up a lot of panels facing the ideal directions. As such I could only fit a 4.17 kW system up there.

last month (April 2014) we were NEGATIVE -670kwh on our bill!

Wow, that a lot of extra power production!

I'm looking forward to expanding our system this summer, we bought it before the Volt and The Model S, so we're under powered. Still saved a lot of money last year though. Everyone in San Diego should have solar on there roof if possible, we have a great climate for it.

I like you solar note in you signature, so I'm adding it to mine as well, though it is not nearly as impressive an array (yet)

Wow, that a lot of extra power production!

I'm looking forward to expanding our system this summer, we bought it before the Volt and The Model S, so we're under powered. Still saved a lot of money last year though. Everyone in San Diego should have solar on there roof if possible, we have a great climate for it.

I like you solar note in you signature, so I'm adding it to mine as well, though it is not nearly as impressive an array (yet)
I agree, so I added mine as well. However thanks to wamochi, I now feel inadequate due to the size of my...system.

I work for the utility and I think you're on the right track with your comments about the EV-TOU2 rate...Moving loads to off peak where possible (like pool pumps or AC), adding solar if possible and charging after midnight will reduce your charging cost. The car gets roughly 3 miles per kWh, so if you know how far you'll be driving you can do the math and see what your energy needs will be.

Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions...

Thanks Randy much appreciated.

Try signing up for bidgely.com. They can download your "green button data" from SDG&E for the last 14 months. It has your usage sampled every 15 minutes, so you can look at how much electricity you use typically during peak and off peak hours throughout the year. If you tell it you have a TOU rate plane, it draws the graphs down by Time, while if you tell it you have the tier plan, it graphs the costs that way.

Keep in mind that some things can be changed easily if you are on a Time of Use plan (start the washing machine/drier/dishwasher, before or after peak etc.

Also, solar can play a huge roll here, by reducing your peak usage to 0 (or less), leaving only the cheaper rates.

Our rates actually went down when we added the Volt and switched to TOU2. They are higher now that we added the Model S, but still cheaper than gas by a long ways.

Thanks Liuping. I downloaded bidgely and am getting to know the app. My family probably doesn't like that I've discovered it. lol They're calling me the Electricity Police. lol

I agree, so I added mine as well. However thanks to wamochi, I now feel inadequate due to the size of my...system.

LOL GoBlue and liuping :biggrin:

we needed that big an array to cover our usage, about 18,200 kwh annually! we have young kids so our usage patterns are not going to change much for at least 10 years. we use about 45-50 kwh a day right now, but during the fires last week and my kids were home from preschool, those numbers jumped 15-20 kwh just from A/C :scared: all day long. but yes, part of the reason we decided finally to get a Tesla was because of the overproduction. better to use it than to sell it to SDGE for $0.04.

we have a single story home so roof real estate was not a problem. our backyard faces south east and our garage faces south west. so we are lucky to have an ideal setup to house 48 panels. the installers also did a NEMA 14-50 outlet for us in November so it's been sitting there, begging to be used.

hey GoBlue - is that also your personalized license plate? i feel like i've seen it. but i live in carmel valley so i'm not sure when we would have crossed paths ...

LOL GoBlue and liuping :biggrin:

we needed that big an array to cover our usage, about 18,200 kwh annually! we have young kids so our usage patterns are not going to change much for at least 10 years. we use about 45-50 kwh a day right now, but during the fires last week and my kids were home from preschool, those numbers jumped 15-20 kwh just from A/C :scared: all day long. but yes, part of the reason we decided finally to get a Tesla was because of the overproduction. better to use it than to sell it to SDGE for $0.04.

we have a single story home so roof real estate was not a problem. our backyard faces south east and our garage faces south west. so we are lucky to have an ideal setup to house 48 panels. the installers also did a NEMA 14-50 outlet for us in November so it's been sitting there, begging to be used.

hey GoBlue - is that also your personalized license plate? i feel like i've seen it. but i live in carmel valley so i'm not sure when we would have crossed paths ...
Nah, don't have a personalized plate. Attended Michigan for grad school.

We probably have crossed paths as I live in the La Costa area of Carlsbad and work in the Torrey Pines area, so I'm driving near Carmel Valley on I-5 every day, although I exit at Del Mar Heights and take the grade up the coast. After next week, start looking for a Metallic Blue MS85 with no plate! :biggrin:

Nah, don't have a personalized plate. Attended Michigan for grad school.

We probably have crossed paths as I live in the La Costa area of Carlsbad and work in the Torrey Pines area, so I'm driving near Carmel Valley on I-5 every day, although I exit at Del Mar Heights and take the grade up the coast. After next week, start looking for a Metallic Blue MS85 with no plate! :biggrin:

Funny. I live in the Torrey Hills area (near Carmel Valley) and work in Carlsbad. I take the 5 N from Del Mar Heights Rd every morning. :smile:

ok we may have all crossed paths then. i am in 92130 but just west of santaluz. i swear i have seen a GOBLUE license plate in my area, also a michigan alum. only one more week to go for you - i'm jealous!

liuping - do you mind me asking who did your photosync and XPEL? i haven't scoured TMC that much but would love to see some pics of your S85 since we will be joining the pearl white club soon. i am thinking 15% on the back and 35% on the sides for mine.