TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

San Diego to Mammoth-can it be done?

Discussion in 'California' started by Tunaman, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Member

Please be kind to a total "newbie" but does anyone know if it is possible to make a road trip in a 85W Model S from San Diego to Mammoth Lakes about 410 miles. I see there is a charging station in Barstow which would be about 4o miles out of the way from 395.everything after that looks like a blank.seems to me it is not possible.Any help would be appreciated

2. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Member

there are many RV parks along 395, they don't show up on say Plugshare. but goggle them. they usually will let you pay a nominal fee to charge. use your 14-50 adapter. if you supercharge at Barstow, Barstow to Mammoth is ~250 miles, so you only need to stop by RV places for an hour at the most to top off.

3. GSP

GSP Member

RVParking.com is one source. I have their iOS app.

Be sure to call and confirm that they have "50 amp service" and will allow you to charge for a reasonable fee.

GSP

4. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

It may be only 250 miles, but there is a big altitude gain that also must be part of the plan. A supercharger in Lancaster or Lone Pine would be helpful.

5. Jojo

Jojo New Member

I'm planning a trip to mammoth from San Diego in my 85 Model S. Where did you top off between Barstow and Mammoth Lakes?