TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

San Diego to Tejon Ranch Supercharger??

Discussion in 'California' started by Teriyaki88, May 29, 2013.

1. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

We're making our first trip to NoCal/Palo Alto for an athletic camp for my daughter. Has anybody made this trip on a single charge from SD?
    There's one monster hill we'll have to tackle after Magic Mountain.
    Thanks!

2. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

When we made the trip we thought it would be pushing it to go all the way to Tejon from San Diego, so we stopped at SpaceX to use the chargers there. Unfortunately that put us there with nine cars waiting on five chargers on a lovely Sunday afternoon, which made for a very leisurely stop. Fortunately, we met some great people there (hi Andrew!) and the time went by pretty quickly.

3. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

I'm afraid to try it as there are nothing near by. I think I'll have to go Hawthorne route. :(

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

As with most other drivers, your problem seems to be (of course, IMHO) that you feel you must drive at or above the speed limit. According to my quick Google Map quest, that drive is around 200 miles. IF YOU WILL SLOW DOWN, you can make it from San Diego to Tejon Ranch easily.

A gentle trip at 60 mph (along with the semis, in the slower lanes) will eliminate the time and distance required to charge extra at Hawthorne. Set your cruise at 60, put the regen on low, and watch the usage graph smooth out to gentle undulations.

The elevation will eat up 50 more miles, and you will recover part of that on the way down. Believe me, it can be done, and it will be quicker than going thru Hawthorne.

5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

New supercharger locations are going to be announce in about hour from now. There was a rumor that one would be in San Juan Capistrano, but we'll know for sure very soon.

6. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

as a prior LEAF owner who learned to drive 50-60 mph to maximize my range... it is definitely true that you can you make it by slowing down... but, it is so much more enjoyable to drive comfortably, spend a bit of time at the sc.. and enjoy the trip.

7. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

I hope SJCap/Mission Viejo is live by middle of July.

8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Their press release says they will triple the number of supercharger locations by the end of June, so it's likely.

9. Calisun

Calisun Member

I agree with Markb1, based on what people have found it does seem likely. There are always hitches here and there but other sites on the map have online permit tracking and have the status as waiting final approval. That means they have already applied, had site, fire, environmental, and other initial inspections done (based on Santa Barbara Marriot permit). So it seems like the work for the ones mentioned in the announcement have been going for a while.