Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Francisco Bay Area Roadster Meet 9/11/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a few I took.

IMG_0214w.jpg

IMG_0267w.jpg
IMG_5313-small.jpg

To explain this photo, which shows something that likely very few Tesla fans have ever seen: Roadster owner @sclasner brought these, which are Roadster paint color and upholstery samples provided to early Roadster reservation holders before any cars were delivered. They enabled the reservation holders to decide which colors to order, since there were no Roadsters to actually look at! I think he said this was in the 2006 timeframe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that there's not one...not two...but THREE Roadster 3.0's here makes my heart tingle...even more than it ALREADY IS because of these gorgeous things all in one spot. I'm jealous. Need to make it out to one of these sometime.

To explain this photo, which shows something that likely very few Tesla fans have ever seen: Roadster owner @sclasner brought these, which are Roadster paint color and upholstery samples provided to early Roadster reservation holders before any cars were delivered. They enabled the reservation holders to decide which colors to order, since there were no Roadsters to actually look at! I think he said this was in the 2006 timeframe.
Thanks for providing the explanation. This color selection kit was sent to the Signature 100 owners-to-be in July, 2007 when it was time to commit to the exterior and interior color choices plus the name to go on the Signature 100 plaque between the seats. The kit included 13 "supereggs" (look it up) made of some metal with significant heft and painted with the 12 standard colors plus the dark green Signature color. Each superegg was labeled with the Tesla logo and the 3-digit VIN for that owner's car, plus the color number. The idea of using a superegg rather than a flat swatch to show the color is that the curved shape would give a better representation of how the color would look on a car.

The kit also included 13 numbered cards that the owners were invited to hand out to friends, along with a superegg, to entitle the recipients to attend the grand opening of a Tesla store in Menlo Park or Los Angeles. Those grand openings did eventually happen, but the special invitation cards were not required. I expect that most of the owners kept the supereggs.