TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

San Francisco building codes to require all new homes to be wired for EV charging

Discussion in 'News' started by johnr, Feb 18, 2010.

1. johnr

johnr Member

From the Sydney Morning Herald (yes, the Aussies are taking an interest in California's EV roll-out).

California gets all wired up for electric car surge

Looks like San Francisco is displaying an unprecedented level of commitment to EVs.

2. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Hopefully this becomes more and more common place, especially because it's one of the biggest requirements to wide-spread EV adoption.

The next place on the list, if they don't already have the same codes, is probably some place in New York or, better yet, an entire state (or 50 :wink: ).

3. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

My understanding is that the California building code already requires new constructions to be "EV ready": this means an empty slot in the braker panel and an empty conduit (a.k.a. "Smurf tube") from it to a spot on the garage wall. I'm not sure when this rule went into force but I've seen this setup in a 5 year old house.

Greetings,
    David