Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Francisco Model S Owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's your past energy usage total? What's your current (total and with each tier and time of day)? How much do you drive a month? What are your biggest energy consumers besides the car? When do you use the appliances? When do you charge the car?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you charged only at off peak times and drove 1000 miles/month, the increase shouldn't be that much. So, you're probably using some high powered electronics during peak times or you just use a lot of electricity. Have you thought about solar?

What's your past energy usage total? What's your current (total and with each tier and time of day)? How much do you drive a month? What are your biggest energy consumers besides the car? When do you use the appliances? When do you charge the car?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you charged only at off peak times and drove 1000 miles/month, the increase shouldn't be that much. So, you're probably using some high powered electronics during peak times or you just use a lot of electricity. Have you thought about solar?

I drive about 2000 miles per month. I use to pay about 150/month now im paying 300-350. But I do drive a lot 80 mile round trip to work mon-fri plus driving on the weekends which equal about 500 per week. How much as your bill gone up and how many miles you drive?

- - - Updated - - -

Also need to know what rate plan you had before. E1?

Yeah I believe it was E1? I also have appliances(refrigerator, dishwasher,) that are like 20 years old thinking about swapping those out they could be killing my bill but definitely not as much as the car. The car draws way more than anything else in the house. I know this because the first bill I got after I got my tesla with my old E1 plan was almost 500.00 and when I contacted pge they said my usage skyrocketed when I took delivery. The problem is the teired system from pge. Tesla makes it seem like everybody is on a flate rate for electrcity(with exception to the small fine print at the bottom) this is just not true, not yet anyway. PGE is suppose to come out with SEV but who knows when that going to happen. But I know some people with EVs get flat I guess we're just screwed in San Francisco.

Sounds like you are getting 2000 miles for about $150-200 in electricity costs or about 7.5 cents to 10 cents a mile. I am on E9A and my cost is about 1.5-2 cents per mile. I am in the SF Bay Area, but also have solar, so my daytime usage on sunny days is quite low, often negative. I also charge after midnight when the E-9A rate is much lower, currently 4.8 cents/kwh at night in the lowest tier, going up to 7, 16 and 20 cents in higher tiers. Remember, E9A in the daytime is very expensive - 10-34 cents/kwh for winter and 31-55 cents/khw for summer depending on your tier. In the winter rates, through April, there are two rates - part peak and off peak. The off peak rate is between midnight and 7AM and on the weekends, except between 5PM-9PM. The summer rates for the 6 months beginning on May 1 have three rates, peak, part peak and off peak. Your PGE bill breaks down the amount you spend by time of day. You can see when you are using the most electricity. Also PGE is planning on changing the E-9 schedule so that it will be higher for the lowest tier and lower for the highest tier. I think I read that current E9A and B rate payers will be grandfathered for at least some time.

Last edited:
If there are any medical conditions in the home necessitating the use of a device that uses electricity, you can get a substantial break in your PG&E bill.

Nebulizers for Asthma, CPAP machines for snoring, ventilators, etc.

The first thing to keep in mind is that at 2000 miles per month you were probably paying at least $250 a month in gasoline previously. So you are saving money, just not as much as you would like. Definitely the new schedule EV will be better for you, and that should be coming out sometime in the next 3 months.

E-9 has very low rates at base line use for off-peak ($0.04479), but sodomizes you at 131% of off-peak at $0.24337. Worse peak at 131% of base line is $0.49583. These are summer rates. I have decided to stay with E-6

E-9 has very low rates at base line use for off-peak ($0.04479), but sodomizes you at 131% of off-peak at $0.24337. Worse peak at 131% of base line is $0.49583. These are summer rates. I have decided to stay with E-6

Me too. E9 at the higher Tiers is more expensive for me than E6. Will stay with E6.

Currently have a 3.5kw system and will add another 6.5kw.

Me too. E9 at the higher Tiers is more expensive for me than E6. Will stay with E6.

Currently have a 3.5kw system and will add another 6.5kw.

Ah, but when you're solar generation is large enough to be feeding back in during the daytime then high rates are good! They offset even more of the nighttime usage. Once you have the bigger system you may want reevaluate (if they haven't switched to schedule EV, which totally sucks if you have solar).

Ah, but when you're solar generation is large enough to be feeding back in during the daytime then high rates are good! They offset even more of the nighttime usage. Once you have the bigger system you may want reevaluate (if they haven't switched to schedule EV, which totally sucks if you have solar).

Good point.

I have not taken into account the new system yet (solar city says they have a 4 months backlog...)