TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

san gabriel valley to LAX and back autopilot adventure!

Discussion in 'California' started by jerjozwik, May 1, 2016.

1. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

May 12, 2014
    san gabriel valley
    yesterday we took our dogs to try out a daycare facility near LAX, so i was able to take the i-10 / i-110 HOV lane route for the first time. my usual commute uses the 210/134/5 freeways and autopilot works wonderfully there and i have grown to understand its faults or warning signs. but man... the i-10 west el monte busway HOV lane is NOT autopilot friendly. the section where it runs along the mixed flow lanes was fine, [i would hope it would be as it is arrow straight] but right around fremont things went down hill fast. darting left and right crossing lanes and what not. re-enabled the system right around the 710 interchange and darting around again. the section between CSULA and downtown autopilot was able to work but was very late and harsh when turning. the i-110 hov lanes were a non issue even though i almost pooped my self going on the i-110 / i-105 hov lane flyover. so, the point?

how many users take the el monte busway with AP regularly?
    is it just a speed thing? i had TACC set to 70 like every other time i use autopilot.
    is it a hardware limitation?
    do i just need to let the car drive that route more and it will eventually figure it out?

just for giggles i attempted using autopilot on the the i-5 north / i-10 east offramp [135c]. hand ready to take command.
    started on the furthest right lane at 70 mph. the car tracked for a bit then thew its hands up and said i dont know what the heck to do here. beeped and i took the wheel. i sort of felt bad for the little robocar.