Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Jose Area ContiSilent Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a small nail in my rear 20" ContiSilent tire. Continental says it is repairable. I called America's Tire in Gilroy, they said due to the tar to glue the foam, it is not possible to repair. I also called Brokaw America's tire, the guy who answered the phone never heard of it. I am not ready to pay $350 for that nail. Anyone had any luck with a San Jose area tire repair shop?

Having worked at a tire shop I would have to agree, to successfully plug a tire you have to seal it from the inside and that's going to be impossible with foam and or tar covering the inside, unless there is another layer of rubber outside the foam.

Worst case scenario, pay them the $20 to fix it and tell them you won't bring it back if it doesn't work

Those are pretty complex instructions for your average tire shop. I'd find a local mechanic that also changes tires, they will be able to just put the effort in and charge by the hour.

Most tire shops have a flat fee for repair, and will walk away from anything out of the ordinary.

With the sun out this weekend. I used the plug kit in my slime set and fixed the tire. There was a nice sized self driving screw embedded to my tire. It was about 2 inches away from the wall and in the raised thread.
Probably I drove 2000 miles with a it. The shops I visited before the holidays with instructions in my hand either did not have any idea or did not want to take the time to clean it up and patch it.

I'll put the plug into test for 10000 miles.