Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Jose/Blossom Hill hit and run on dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Don't know which Tesla model the driver was in but what do you guys make of this hit-and-run captured on dashcam by a Tesla owner yesterday in the San Jose/Los Gatos area? NBC Bay Area ran a story of a few minutes ago. Side cam and front cam view of the accident shown. Tesla owner had his kid in the car with him. Good thing the Tesla is grounded to the road. Looked like a strong hit. Apart from crossing a double yellow, I thought maybe the Ford SUV driver passing might have needed to dive back in because of oncoming traffic in the lane he was driving in but the forward camera indicates that wasn't the case.

Tesla Video Shows Hit-and-Run Collision in Los Gatos

I'm kinda surprised how the license plate can't be made out at all in the front camera video. I wonder if the original video file is any clearer and maybe the online video is compressed.(?) But I guess the lighting/contrast might explain why it's all blurry.

I also noticed that the front camera freezes for ~1 second at the moment of impact. That's interesting, especially since the side camera doesn't freeze.

Wow I used to live in LG. Thats blossom hill rd going into Los Gatos. That guy must have had some drinks. I hope they catch him. My after market camera would have definitely caught the rear plate, all images HD. That video is basically unusable.

Wow. That SUV is so out of control. Alcohol, texting--something.

I'm surprised the Tesla kept going. If that'd been me, I'd have turned into the first side street to stop and assess damage, as well as to get my heart rate back to normal. But that's just me.

Looks like either it's not a Model 3, or the TV station isn't using the full frame (which I've seen them do before). In a Model 3 repeater video, you can always see the side-view mirror housing in the top corner of the image.

Reactions: liuping
To me, it looks like the speeding truck driver did not like the Tesla pulling out onto the road in front of him and intentionally sped around the Tesla on the opposing traffic lane and, in an act of road rage, cut back into the lane to "teach a lesson"... except he misjudged and clipped the Tesla and nearly lost control of his own vehicle.

Reactions: bhzmark
upload_2019-7-5_15-42-2.png

Why don't all US states have front plate laws?

And yes, if I was hit like that, I'd catch up and get the plate number.

Reactions: Dr. J and KenC
Even though a front plate is required in California, many people don't have one on their vehicle(s).
They risk getting cited, but I think there are so many these days that the police don't have the resources to routinely cite them for it.

It is similar to the situation with lots of cars with California illegal tint on the front windows. There seem to be so many cars running with illegal tint that I assume that the police don't have the resources to stop that trend either.

Reactions: radiocycle
Wow. That SUV is so out of control. Alcohol, texting--something.

I'm surprised the Tesla kept going. If that'd been me, I'd have turned into the first side street to stop and assess damage, as well as to get my heart rate back to normal. But that's just me.

Looks like either it's not a Model 3, or the TV station isn't using the full frame (which I've seen them do before). In a Model 3 repeater video, you can always see the side-view mirror housing in the top corner of the image.

It's also possible that the station could have blurred the license plate. I've seen a number of people comment that you don't want to show people's faces since they haven't been found guilty yet so maybe the license plate would fall under that category.

Looks like I'll be putting my BlackVue in my 3

Tesla could have made the cameras higher quality than that

Since there's a view of video from a side repeater camera and you don't see the side view mirror or as someone mentioned the housing of the repeater camera, the video has been altered by the news station most likely. I also noticed that the street sign is a bit blurry. From my own videos (originals) that kind of detail is clear from that distance. So I wouldn't assume that what you are seeing is raw footage from the Tesla's dashcam files and has been downgraded.

After looking at the YT video he uploaded (see TEG's post #17 below here) you can see the side view mirror and the housing of the repeater camera in this footage as well as read the street sign near the beginning.

Last edited:
View attachment 426750

Why don't all US states have front plate laws?

And yes, if I was hit like that, I'd catch up and get the plate number.

California does require front plates. But as you've seen from other Tesla owners on here they don't want to put them on. To me for police to ticket it would be an easy ticket and cash for the State or roads or whatever. Write the ticket, take a photo of the car as proof and send them on their way to pay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
I know that road very well. My wife even better. She takes that section of Blossom Hill on her way to work. That area is posted at 35MPH and you can see the radar speed sign flashing at 0:53 in the clip. Many people speed through there at 50+. I will certainly let my wife know about this clip and ask her to keep an eye out for that Ford.

Reactions: SMAlset
Since there's a view of video from a side repeater camera and you don't see the side view mirror or as someone mentioned the housing of the repeater camera, the video has been altered by the news station most likely. I also noticed that the street sign is a bit blurry. From my own videos (originals) that kind of detail is clear from that distance. So I wouldn't assume that what you are seeing is raw footage from the Tesla's dashcam files and has been downgraded.

I think I saw this story pop up somewhere else and they said it was an X.

edit: Tesla Model X brushes off impact from reckless Ford F-150 after hit-and-run incident

Reactions: SMAlset