Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Jose/Blossom Hill hit and run on dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California does require front plates. But as you've seen from other Tesla owners on here they don't want to put them on. To me for police to ticket it would be an easy ticket and cash for the State or roads or whatever. Write the ticket, take a photo of the car as proof and send them on their way to pay.

Except those end up being low revenue 'fix-it' tickets, like having a broken tail light. Once fixed, the perp then has to go down to the local PD/Sheriff and get it signed off that the fix has been made. Little revenue and 2x the work.

Glad to see someone driving like this was apprehended and hopefully off the road for some time. Sure this was scary for owner and his kid. Didn’t see the other news stations’ coverage of this story but glad they all picked it up from the sounds of the tweet.

I'm kinda surprised how the license plate can't be made out at all in the front camera video.

Have you never looked at Tesla DashCam footage before? It's nearly impossible to see the license plate except under the most ideal conditions (the appropriate lighting, slow or not moving, very close range).

It is easily the worst aspect of the feature and something Tesla absolutely needs to improve. But it's not the only thing they need to improve.

He did accelerate pretty slowly and definitely impeded the speed of the truck.

I’m not defending the truck, he is 100% in the wrong, but I think drivers merging on to roads need to try to do so without impeding oncoming traffic. This would’ve been avoided by the Tesla driver accelerating more appropriately. Maybe the Tesla driver wasn’t paying attention. In hindsight, this would’ve been a great opportunity to utilize the acceleration capabilities of the Tesla :)

I always keep an eye on my rear view and if I see a grill coming in at high speed, I give her the juice.

Even though a front plate is required in California, many people don't have one on their vehicle(s).
They risk getting cited, but I think there are so many these days that the police don't have the resources to routinely cite them for it.

It is similar to the situation with lots of cars with California illegal tint on the front windows. There seem to be so many cars running with illegal tint that I assume that the police don't have the resources to stop that trend either.

Most of the time, the police will leave these minor infractions alone. They like to use them to their advantage. It gives the police probable cause and a reason to stop the vehicle if they want to take a closer at whos inside the car.

He did accelerate pretty slowly and definitely impeded the speed of the truck.

I’m not defending the truck, he is 100% in the wrong, but I think drivers merging on to roads need to try to do so without impeding oncoming traffic. This would’ve been avoided by the Tesla driver accelerating more appropriately. Maybe the Tesla driver wasn’t paying attention. In hindsight, this would’ve been a great opportunity to utilize the acceleration capabilities of the Tesla :)

I always keep an eye on my rear view and if I see a grill coming in at high speed, I give her the juice.

This is a residential area all along Blossom Hill Road with many driveways and side roads to small developments off of it (you can go on Google Maps and zoom down to street level to see the road and signage there). The posted speed limit is 35 mph at least all the way back from the intersection of Union Avenue, including the intersection at Camino del Cerro where you can spot the street sign in the video. The Ahole was driving way above the speed limit in addition to crossing a double yellow line (which runs the length of this section of Blossom Hill Road for a good ways) and illegally passing. If you watch the video his F150 was way off in the distance on Blossom Hill Road when the video starts. I don't see this Tesla driver doing anything wrong with how he made his turn onto Blossom Hill Road. Given the speed of the truck it takes him quite a while to reach him and pass. The guy looks like he just didn't want anyone in front of him on the road and was likely annoyed he encountered traffic. Thankfully no one had pulled out or was driving in the opposite direction (although it looks like he cut close to the one car that was traveling in the opposite direction and maybe lucky for him he was way to the right on the road) or it could have been a head on.

BHroad - 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: liuping
Possible scenario:

Driver was returning home from a July 4th BBQ party at Vasona Lake park, and had a few too many beers...?
A more possible scenario, since the direction he was traveling on Blossom Hill is TOWARD the park:

Ford driver was going to the Artisan Wine Depot in Los Gatos for a magnum of Seghesio Old Vine Zinfandel 2012.