Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Jose to Los Angeles in a Tunnel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe we'd need subterranean travel for the entire way to be useful.

Planning for long-distance travel in automobiles will likely require a variety of solutions. Tunnels make sense getting into and out of densely populated areas, and onto long-distance highways. Reserving lanes for autonomous vehicles that communicate with the grid and understand destination information and at some point, can influence the average rate of travel would also be helpful. Combining these two simple solutions (tunnels and exclusive use highway lanes) can drastically reduce travel times.

High-speed trains, if ever implemented in the US, work nicely together with ride-hailing services, like Uber and Lyft. Getting down to DC from NYC works very well on the Acela, although it is not cheap - it can compete effectively with air travel.

Seats auto reclined once into the tunnel, LED lightshow starts poping up in the tunnel, everything seems good but soon afterwards music start blasting "It's A Small World" music just like those disneyland ride while car is travelling 130mph, few minutes into the tunnel you experienced slight diarrhea and you just remembered you had that taco bell special.....hours later at the other side of tunnel......you give the rating of the experience 1 out of 10 and swear to god you will never do it again.

I think a inner city 10 minutes boring tunnel ride just to skip the major congested area would be way better than hours of the ride between city. Just because my worst case scenario above.