Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Juan Capistrano to Tejon Ranch in an 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a trip down to San Diego from the SF Bay Area. I am concerned about the trip back on I-5. I plan to charge at the San Juan Capistrano supercharger, and my question is whether I will be able to make it over the Grapevine to the Tejon Ranch Supercharger in my 85. Google maps shows the distance as only 137 miles, but there is a significant climb up before getting to Tejon Ranch. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You have to climb to just over 4000 ft at the 125 mile mark from sea level. Model S uses about 6 rated miles for each 1000 ft of climbing [1] [2] so you would plan this as a ~162 mile trip worst case, but since you descend 3000 the last 15-20 miles you could do it with closer to 150 miles range.

Anyway, with 200 miles rated range you should have plenty of buffer to make it without any sweat.

[1] Charge required to climb 1000 feet
[2] Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA - Post #195

I always check with EV Trip Planner, since it takes elevation into account.

From SJC to Tejon Ranch, even driving with a 1.26 speed factor, which is 80MPH on the 5 (good luck doing that with traffic :)), it will only take 190 rated miles.

No need to get a full charge at SJC, 90% is way more than enough. Even 80% is quite a bit more than you will need.

I've gone straight from Del Mar to Tejon with about 20 miles to spare. I don't recommend that though. It was stressful going up the grapevine and watching the miles drop so quickly. That was my first long distance trip.

Last edited:
I have a 60. A couple months ago I made it from Tustin to Tejon Ranch SC starting with 190 rated miles or so, had to detour an extra 5-7 miles due to traffic on I-5, and made it to Tejon with something like 45 rated miles. I drove at reasonable speeds (I opened up the throttle over the last 30 miles or so when it was very clear I had a lot of buffer) and didn't need to have the A/C cranking because temps were not hot. But you should have no problem at all in your 85 making it from SJC to Tejon without anything close to 100% charge.

I've driven from the Peninsula down to Dana Point and back five times now with my last/first charge at Tejon Ranch, and never had a problem making it even driving in a very spirited manner <ahem>. Closest call I had was I had about 40 miles of range left, but never felt like I had to manage my speed to help with the range.