TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

San Juan Concours d'Elegance

Discussion in 'News' started by tomsax, Sep 9, 2009.

1. tomsax

tomsax Member

On the weekend of August 30th, Cathy and I joined DaveD in traveling to San Juan Island to show our Roadsters at the Concours d'Elegance. It was a nice road trip, a well organized event, and a fun experience. We had great weather, were popular with the show attendees, and met Martin Eberhard's parents.

There are photos, trip data, and more commentary here: San Juan Concours d'Elegance

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#2 vfx, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Tom wrote:
    Yeah I get the, "Saw it on TV" or, "Heard about it on the Radio". And, "I know a guy whose boss has one". There are many Roadsters here so the stories get closer like, "I know a guy who has one", but a favorite of mine was a kid from Santa Barbara who insisted his neighbor has an electric Lotus. Couldn't talk him out of it.

But unique to here, I have got, "I'm a personal chef to Elon Musk". and "I put in the head head guy's..." "Elon?" "Yeah, that's him".... his home theater system".

True story.

3. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Great blog story. Everyone should read that.

I will especially have to remember that recharge location.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Thanks for sharing!

5. tomsax

tomsax Member

#5 tomsax, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    San Juan Journal Article

At the end of the show, all three of us were interviewed by a reporter from the San Juan Journal. He recorded all of us with a tape recorder then wrote a nice article that got the basic ideas right even if some of the facts were off. At least he understood they were pure EVs, unlike the grammar and error riddled article at the Seattle PI that was driving the local EV community nuts around the same time. The San Juan paper still hasn't posted their piece online, so I'll share some of the highlights.

He got the basic facts right: all electric car, 6000+ batteries, rechargeable at home and on the road. He muddled the home and road charging making it sound like you can get the a 3-hour recharge from at any old outlet.

He referred to the cars as 2009 Tesla Roadsters. I can't blame him too much for that as Tesla's model year numbering got pretty messed up by the 14-month delay. It's annoying taking my 3-month old car to a show and having to list it as a 2008 model year. At least Tesla fixed that mess by jumping to the 2010 model year, even if it does create some confusion.

However, he burned me twice, attributing to me a statement in quotes that I didn't make, then stealing and mangling one of my favorite lines.

What I said was that when driven off of west coast electricity, the CO2 emissions from the production of electricity to drive the car are equivalent to a car that gets about 135 miles per gallon, but driven off of coal-produced electricity it's more like driving a Prius.

It turns out what I told him was a bit optimistic (I hadn't reviewed my facts recently): my best calculation says driving a Roadster off the west coast grid is about equivalent to getting 143 mpg in a gas-burner, driving of the average US grid is more like 44.2 mpg (about the same as a Prius), while driving off of pure coal is more like 28 mpg. But I definitely did not say that driving a Roadster off coal-produced electricity is like driving a Prius. Plus, I also would never say "miles to a gallon." Ugh. I can't believe he put that in quotes!

A number of times during the show, which was focused on exotic sports cars, I was asked/told how much cooler the cars would be with giant speakers that make artificial engine sounds. The reporter either asked that question or was present when someone else did. My standard answer for this is that engine noise is the sound of energy being wasted, and that once you get used to driving a Roadster you come to appreciate the sound that reminds me of the warp engines on the starship Enterprise. This is a line I've been using since Cathy and I did our first test drive in 2007.

Aside: I'm less enamored with the sound from inside the car these days. If you're thinking of buying a Roadster, I'd definitely recommend that you (and your SO if applicable) test drive one with the top on. Even though there's a lot less noise than from a gas-burner, the frequency of the gear box whine is unpleasant to some.

As we were packing up and Dave was about to leave, the last few stragglers at the show encouraged Dave to show off the car's acceleration. So, when he got down to the road, he floored it to show off his silent rocketship. The crowd went wild.

I like that he bought my analogy, but it's too bad he botched it by using it to describe the sight of the car taking off. And how did Captain Kirk get into the driver's seat?

6. Serge

Serge Member

Tom, your calculations are supported by numbers we did in EV coal vs. petrol car thread. The neat conclusion is that even fully powered by coal, Roadster has little competition from gas sports cars in CO2 emissions category.

7. tomsax

tomsax Member

Serge - That's a good point! I'll incorporate that into my Q&A routine.