Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Marcos getting tighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arrived yesterday with map saying 4 of 5 stalls in use. Unfortunately the fifth stall (2B) is not working, won't engage to vehicle. Small stalls were full! I was second in line for the remaining chargers. In the end I gave up as the owners of 3 of the cars were nowhere to be seen.

Hadn't seen San Marcos SC full before. More please!

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
Only five stalls, wow! I guess that was one of the first Superchargers. Hopefully, all of the oldies with 4-6 stalls will have more stalls added asap before Model 3 -- right after there is some effort add to forgotten places like ND and Southeastern AZ!

I looked at my Nav at 3:00PM central. The Tesla Nav doesn't own up to it being 'Reduced Capacity'. Last night, two people flagged it in Plugshare.com . Did Tesla fix the issue already? Assuming you, @DriverOne did not post the Plugshare entries, that makes 3 drivers that have been inconvenienced. Anyone seen anything different on their Navs? If this is not 'Reduced Capacity' I'm not sure what is.

If Tesla can't share info with Plugshare.com to supplement the telemetry from the Tesla network, then Tesla is doing it wrong.
Probably 99% of Tesla owners don't post about superchargers on Plugshare. Maybe 99.9%. If you come across a broken supercharger, please report it to Tesla even if you post about it on Plugshare. Even if Tesla looks at every supercharger page on Plugshare every day, which I think would be highly unlikely, wouldn't you think it could get addressed faster by calling Tesla?

Reactions: KJD
OK, I don't mind so much that the charges suffer an outage. What I mind, is that twice, today, when I go to my car and check the Nav Tesla says nothing about the Superchargers being 'Reduced Service'. Are they intentionally blind, or are they deliberately deceptive?

I don't freaking trust the Nav to tell the truth.

Hope they fix the stalls soon, traveling through next weekend and San Marcos is a planned stop. Anyone near there have an update?

My car reports 4 of 5 stalls available at the moment. Wonder how accurate that is. No mention of degraded service.

Last edited:
I called Tesla to find out the San Marcos Supercharger status as I will be driving through there tomorrow.

They confirmed that stall 2B was down and two other stalls have 'reduced' service. So three out of five have issues. He was going to escalate to the supercharger team.

If anyone else in Texas (or elsewhere) is so inclined, please give Tesla a call and ask them to fix the 60% degraded San Marcos Supercharger site.

Interestingly, my car says 5 of 5 stalls available this morning... at the very least it should say 4 of 5 (as one is dead) with a degraded status, but it does not.

Again, if you call, ask them to label the supercharger correctly as well.

-----edit-----
[email protected] is a good email... see this response

Thank you for contacting Tesla Vehicle Support.

Yes 2B Is not working and 2A has a reduce in charge. There is a service appointment scheduled for today so everything should working normally by tomorrow.

Woohoo!!

Last edited:
I called Tesla to find out the San Marcos Supercharger status ...

[email protected] is a good email... see this response
Thank you for contacting Tesla Vehicle Support.

Yes 2B Is not working and 2A has a reduce in charge. There is a service appointment scheduled for today so everything should working normally by tomorrow.

Woohoo!!
OK, so we can trust Tesla when we call, and when we email. But we can't trust Tesla to give the straight scoop looking at the navigation map. These San Marcos issues don't seem to lie in a grey area. The Nav should report REDUCED SERVICE. Instead, repeatedly, it gives the 'no problem' icon. :mad:
Moral of the story, always call or email Tesla about chargers along your route for reasonably correct information.
See Arlington Supercharger for comparison how that one is handled.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasJ
OK, so we can trust Tesla when we call, and when we email. But we can't trust Tesla to give the straight scoop looking at the navigation map. These San Marcos issues don't seem to lie in a grey area. The Nav should report REDUCED SERVICE. Instead, repeatedly, it gives the 'no problem' icon. :mad:
Moral of the story, always call or email Tesla about chargers along your route for reasonably correct information.
See Arlington Supercharger for comparison how that one is handled.

When I called in, they told me to call tomorrow as I approach the supercharger for recommendation on the best stall to use and availability. That is my plan. Hope they do fix it today, so I have no issues tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
Those who are going there to shop -- there is a free Chargepoint L2 charger in the Tanger Mall side. You can gain some miles there while you shop and reduce the load on the SC a bit.

I usually Supercharge, then hook up to the L2 charger to be able to run climate control without burning range. But for now, you could get whatever miles you can while shopping, then if you need more range do a shorter SC session.

Just charged using 2b a few days ago. It's working but was maxed out at 47kw. Car was still at about 50% SOC when plugging in. I've only supercharged once before so I'm not sure if that's fast or not.

While we were charging, a Tesla Supercharging repair vehicle pulled up. We left before the technician got out of the car.

The Nav seemed to update the charging stations immediately. Every time a car came in or left, it updated the number of stalls nearly instantaneously